origin of cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do all cattle come from Red Poll? Even Angus and Brahman? After extensive research into cattle linages, I have yet to find a bull living today that does not have a little red pole in it somewhere..Agree?

I can believe that all the English Breeds could have originated from using some red Poll Breeding. Continentals; possible. True Brahman I highly doubt it. If the brahmans were bred up in this country it is very possible
that the American Brahmans would have some Red Poll way back

Alex deLagarza and others would probaly know more about this.

Interesting question and statement.

I will try to do some more research on this.

no, all cattle living today could easily have red poll in them but cattle as a species did not originate from a particular breed.

DNA studies say that Bos Indicus (Brahman) and Bos Tarus (non-humped cattle) have a common ancestor about 1 million years ago. The number may be off but it was a long long time ago. They are gentically different species.

:nod:

(
DRB":34uxxe5f said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do all cattle come from Red Poll? Even Angus and Brahman? After extensive research into cattle linages, I have yet to find a bull living today that does not have a little red pole in it somewhere..Agree?

Latest posts