Organic Meat Standards

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
A friend of mine was approached by someone wanting to pay him a premium for his calves cause they needed them to fill orders in the organic market. He does not raise them organically so it got me to wondering. Is there a time frame a calf needs to be raised organically to be sold as organic beef? Just wondering what the standards might be.

Because of organic feed shortages and for a transitional period, the use of a limited amount of non-organic feedstuffs has been authorised. This is only permitted in those cases where the organic farmer is unable to obtain organic feed. The maximum amount of non-organic feed that can be given is 5% annually. We will be working with the other UK bodies to agree a decrease in these percentages in order to achieve 100% organic feed as soon as possible.

Thanks Chris. If I read this correctly then I don't see where his cattle would qualify. But maybe I'm confused as to what organic feed is.

Here in the UK all animals have to be born into an organic system, our feed has to be 100% organic, exept in some soya based feed where 95% is permitted but a move toward using locally produced pea meal to give more choice in sourcing imported soya will move all feeds up to 100% in the near future. Animals under antibiotic treatment more than twice, are disqualified and we are constantly monitored in all aspects of production to maintain the strict requirements, bought in stock never achieves organic status, only the progeny born into the system do.

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publica ... A-3103.pdf

Link for US Standards above

Just curious what they were offering and was it breed specific. Have looked at a few of the marketeers websites and think the middle boys are the ones making the money not the producer. Seems relatively attainable to manage your grasslands and raise them without additives , i.e. hormones, antibiotics , but the input of " Organic " feed is an expensive proposition . I guess with proper genetics raising grassfeds you can come out ok.

I don't know enough to give specifics. Just seemed a little funny to me. If he's raising organic then I'm raising super-organic.

Standards are really strict Jo.
Just had a county get sued up here because they sprayed weeds on the county road that ran between two pieces of this guys property and he had organic hay there.
The guy was suppose to take care of the weeds through an agreement, but didn't get to them.
There is a zero tolerance in a lot of the counties concerning weeds.
Idiots on the jury didn't even realize they just took money out of their own pockets. :roll:

Well Jo, Ive recently finished my two semester of Organic Chemistry. And now with a wealth of information :roll: I can tell you organic refers to having carbon. And as all living things are composed of carbon, if its living its organic. :D

CattleHand":1rgf4q5u said:
Well Jo, Ive recently finished my two semester of Organic Chemistry. And now with a wealth of information :roll: I can tell you organic refers to having carbon. And as all living things are composed of carbon, if its living its organic. :D

:lol2: :p I'm in the same spot you are... just finished my last semester of o-chem a few weeks ago. Pretty certain I'm not going to ever use anything I learned in that class.

Jo -- If I remember right, for meat, "organic" status starts in the final 1/3 of gestation. Dairy animals can be turned into organic after 12 months of organic feed, but beef animals have to start before birth and continue to slaughter.

milkmaid":fatp672k said:
CattleHand":fatp672k said:

:lol2: :p I'm in the same spot you are... just finished my last semester of o-chem a few weeks ago. Pretty certain I'm not going to ever use anything I learned in that class.

Jo -- If I remember right, for meat, "organic" status starts in the final 1/3 of gestation. Dairy animals can be turned into organic after 12 months of organic feed, but beef animals have to start before birth and continue to slaughter.

Had the same feelings about how they've miscontrued the definition of organic. BTW while its fresh on ya'll minds, would either of you mind describing the mechanism for the free radical addition during the polymerisation of ethene and the reaction between HBr and alkenes in the presence of organic peroxides? Or would this cause flashbacks and nightmares? ;-) :lol2:

It would seem that possibly there may be some who are going to try and reap the benefits of the organic premiums without paying the dues. Just a hunch.

All my cows are organic (carbon based life forms). I prefer the term "natural" for mine.

Organic is nothing more than a money game for those with too much money to spend.

I enjoyed organic chem so much I took the course twice. :cry2:

I imagine there are plenty of cheaters in the organic biz, be it veggies or cattle.
After all, properly used pesticides leave no residue you can detect without very expensive tests.
Organic has its shorts in a wad because some producers and retailers have become mega-businesses. That violates the sensibilities of folks who want their organic to be produced by mom and pop.
Now, "sustainable" is open to any definition you care to give to it. I suggest everyone change your business name to something like "John250's Sustainable Acres". Sounds good, don't it.

Yeah, I'm sure - like with everything else - there are those who don't play by the rules. Greed makes people do funny things. Personally, I'm trying to work the vegetarian market myself. Once I convince them that my product is simply a naturally modified grass concentrate I'll be in business. I do think I'll have to work on my image some. I'm thinking dreadlocks and a few body piercings will help me get my message across to them.

Jogeephus":21j2fvg5 said:
Yeah, I'm sure - like with everything else - there are those who don't play by the rules. Greed makes people do funny things. Personally, I'm trying to work the vegetarian market myself. Once I convince them that my product is simply a naturally modified grass concentrate I'll be in business. I do think I'll have to work on my image some. I'm thinking dreadlocks and a few body piercings will help me get my message across to them.

Piercings? You need a "Prince Albert" for sure! :banana: :banana: :banana:

grannysoo":3dg3h6vy said:
Jogeephus":3dg3h6vy said:

Piercings? You need a "Prince Albert" for sure! :banana: :banana: :banana:[/quote]
ROFLMAO Jo if ya do get one I don't want to see or hear anything about it

Angus Cowman":2ld2ss32 said:
grannysoo":2ld2ss32 said:
Jogeephus":2ld2ss32 said:

Piercings? You need a "Prince Albert" for sure! :banana: :banana: :banana:[/quote]
ROFLMAO Jo if ya do get one I don't want to see or hear anything about it

AC you'll laugh all the more now, was not sure what Granysoo ment (had an idea) so googled it and what a pic on Wiki: that was gross and looked most painful. Jo if you do keep it to yourself. :?

Jogeephus":3r4klswx said:
milkmaid":3r4klswx said:
CattleHand":3r4klswx said:

Had the same feelings about how they've miscontrued the definition of organic. BTW while its fresh on ya'll minds, would either of you mind describing the mechanism for the free radical addition during the polymerisation of ethene and the reaction between HBr and alkenes in the presence of organic peroxides? Or would this cause flashbacks and nightmares? ;-) :lol2:

It would seem that possibly there may be some who are going to try and reap the benefits of the organic premiums without paying the dues. Just a hunch.

Let me wikipedia that for you and get back on it :D

Latest posts