Organic and global warming

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Organic milk production may contribute to global warming
In some cases, organic farming may be worse for the environment than conventional methods, according to a study from the Manchester Business School in Great Britain. The study examined the environmental impact of certain organic foods, including organic milk. It found that organic milk production generates almost 20 percent more carbon dioxide than conventionally produced milk.

Don't know the definition of "organic" in this case, but could it be that it's less productive, so it requires more cows to produce the same amount of milk and therefore more CO2?

dun":3gazgipo said:
In some cases, organic farming may be worse for the environment than conventional methods, according to a study from the Manchester Business School in Great Britain. The study examined the environmental impact of certain organic foods, including organic milk. It found that organic milk production generates almost 20 percent more carbon dioxide than conventionally produced milk.

Got a link on that one, Dun?

I think the key word in that paragraph is that organic farming might be worse in some cases.

In the area where I live, the organic dairy farms generally really on pasture to a greater degree than the conventional dairy farms that feed out more grain. Pastures sequester carbon. The production of annual grains releases more carbon than is sequestered by growing plants.

There are gigantic confinement dairies like Aurora Dairy in Colorado that are certified organic that feed a heavy grain and stored forage ration, and I doubt that their CO2 footprint is any lighter than a conventional farm. The growth of Industrial Organic is a challenge to people like myself who care about sustainable agriculture.

Organic farms around here rely more on animal power to harvest forage than conventional farms that mechanically harvest forage and bring it to the animals. They rely less on commercial sources of nitrogen that take large amounts of fossil fuel energy to produce. On the negative side, production of annual organic crops might require more tillage (which releases CO2), but overall organic farms produce a lot less CO2 than conventional ones.

http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_tr ... uest.shtml

While I'm sure many organic farmers started farming this way for ethical reasons, they can continue to do it because the organic price is nearly twice that of conventional and their input costs tend to be lower. Where I live, it makes sense from an economic and environmental perspective.

dun":rpp3mjkq said:

That is the thing about this Global warming argument. Someone could say almost everything can cause it. And probably be correct. I am sure if we got rid of cars the environment would be better, if we did not fart it would be better. If we did not use any chemicals, or have electricity it would be better. That is why the libs like it, it can go on and on and on with no end in site for their cause.

Question is rather man will destroy the earth, and that will not happen!

True, any process that has CO2 as a by-product contributes to global warming. Oxidation is where most (if not all) CO2 comes from. What is , by a landslide, the greatest source of oxidation on Earth? Answer: Burning. Burning what? Answer: Anything. But I would guess that more gasoline is burned in a day than everything total else burned on Earth in a year. Why anyone wants to deny this, I don't know.

ga. prime":1hy0niab said:
True, any process that has CO2 as a by-product contributes to global warming. Oxidation is where most (if not all) CO2 comes from. What is , by a landslide, the greatest source of oxidation on Earth? Answer: Burning. Burning what? Answer: Anything. But I would guess that more gasoline is burned in a day than everything total else burned on Earth in a year. Why anyone wants to deny this, I don't know.

To me it is not denying rather burning gasoline pollutes the air, the issue is it enough that the earth can not filter it through the process God designed it to do. And rather it is the reason that the earth temps might be making changes.

Example: If you dump a five gallon bucket of Cow manure into the ocean, you just polluted the Ocean. But to put it in perspective did you pollute the Ocean by so much that it can not absorb and filter this pollution? I think not, the Ocean will be just fine.

Question is not rather man pollutes, but does he pollute to the point that the world will come to an end and there will not be enough food to feed the world, as the Global Warming Activist want us to believe, the same thing the Global Cooling Activist tried 30 years ago.

Aplus, I certainly don't believe that "global warming" caused by CO2 emmisions will bring on the Apocalypse. However, CO2 emmisions resultant from burning 20 million barrels of oil a day for decades on end(which was never done before the 20th century) will cause "global warming" and a slew of changes to world climate and geography. 8)

ga. prime":2yps2nca said:
Aplus, I certainly don't believe that "global warming" caused by CO2 emmisions will bring on the Apocalypse. However, CO2 emmisions resultant from burning 20 million barrels of oil a day for decades on end(which was never done before the 20th century) will cause "global warming" and a slew of changes to world climate and geography. 8)
So we burn millions of barrels of oil. The oil had to come from somewhere. It didn't fly in from space. Organic materials such as plants and animals decayed to produce the oil. How did the plants live in grow? By taking in CO2 from the ancient atmosphere. There is just as much carbon cycling today as there was millions of years ago. Heightened levels of CO2 will just result in greater amounts of biomass being produced. This whole issue on global warming gets thrown way out of proportion. The climate is always changing. We just haven't been around long enough to have seen it.

aplusmnt":5ulf5uu4 said:
I believe that Cars do pollute the air, I just believe God has a big enough filter system in place to handle it.

Well, that filter system is a bit lacking in Lisbon, let me tell ya'... :( I haven't seen my daughter's face so green before we were there or after...and that was just from walking around the city for a few hours.

There's more auto exhaust pollution in the world than just in North America where it has at least some controls...and all of that air pollution, auto exhaust, industry exhaust, and otherwise, finally comes together...and nobody is gonna tell me that's good thing... :mad:

Alice

Alice":9eebo47k said:
aplusmnt":9eebo47k said:
I believe that Cars do pollute the air, I just believe God has a big enough filter system in place to handle it.

Well, that filter system is a bit lacking in Lisbon, let me tell ya'... :( I haven't seen my daughter's face so green before we were there or after...and that was just from walking around the city for a few hours.

There's more auto exhaust pollution in the world than just in North America where it has at least some controls...and all of that air pollution, auto exhaust, industry exhaust, and otherwise, finally comes together...and nobody is gonna tell me that's good thing... :mad:

Alice

So got you one of them Toyota Priusus then? Something that you feel strong enough get a :mad: then surely you are driving a gas saving vehicle to keep that conscience clean.

aplusmnt":1ci1f0jv said:
Alice":1ci1f0jv said:
aplusmnt":1ci1f0jv said:

Alice

So got you one of them Toyota Priusus then? Something that you feel strong enough get a :mad: then surely you are driving a gas saving vehicle to keep that conscience clean.

Typical right wing response...oh, it feels good to type that! You give a response that has nothing to do with what I wrote, for no other reason than to try divert the meaning of my response.

I wasn't talking about gas saving...and I think you know that. I was talking about exhaust emissions...and I think you know that, also. However, our car is quite gas efficient as are the pickups that we drive, thank you.

Alice

Alice":26olxvgc said:
I wasn't talking about gas saving...and I think you know that. I was talking about exhaust emissions...and I think you know that, also. However, our car is quite gas efficient as are the pickups that we drive, thank you.

Alice

One thing I do know is that Gas mileage is what affects your exhaust emissons. You know a prius not only gets better gas mileage but it produces less exhaust emissions. They are both related to each other. The more efficient the car is the Less gas you burn, the cleaner the air. :roll: