Oregon High Desert forest to tillable land - Soil testing

Help Support CattleToday:

gimpyrancher

Reaction score
With raw forest land, converting some to winter/summer food plots, how/where do I get a soil test? Do I call someone to come out for the test of dig my own samples and send it somewhere? I'm betting there's a simple answer but I don't know where to go. Someone want to tell me where to go? :lol2:

Dig them yourself. There is a post somewhere on here about the proper way to do it. Check with you local fertilzer dealer and/or the university extension office. They'll have the exact answers

I'm new to the game so I don't have a local fertilizer dealer yet. Also haven't had a chance to meet the Oregon University people yet. Guess it's getting to be time for contacting them. Thank you for the suggestion.

gimpyrancher":ijb46w25 said:
I'm new to the game so I don't have a local fertilizer dealer yet. Also haven't had a chance to meet the Oregon University people yet. Guess it's getting to be time for contacting them. Thank you for the suggestion.

Take an egg carton and a shovel to the field. Scoop 12 times in different logical areas and grab a pinch or two about 4-6 inches from the top and place where egg normally goes filling area. Label field and position of sample with paper and tape. Take to extension office for county which is in phone book. When there, you may transfer dirt to plastic baggies. Should be free service.

Very cool. Thank you. Been researching the local office and will make a date to go there with the samples. Thanks again. :tiphat:

I don't know that OSU will do soil testing but it is worth the try (I know WSU stopped doing then years ago). If not let me know and I will PM you the address of a soil lab in Portland we ship samples through. It cost about $15 per sample. Your end sample should be about 2 cups of soil and if it is going to be more than a day freeze or refrigerate your sample. Don't set the sample on the dash or under the heater in your pickup.

Latest posts