Oregon Girl goes to A&M

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
B told me this story yesterday. His daughter is a freshman at Texas A&M. She applied to some exclusive agriculture club. You have to go through an interview and be selected to join. So she goes to the interview. There is 2 guys and 2 gals doing the interview. The first question was could you take this girl, pointing to one of the gals. She asked the gal to stand up. Looked her up and down and replied, "I was raised on a ranch in eastern Oregon and have two older brothers. I could take her." She got in the club. Self confidence. None of the other gals interviewed answered yes or no. They were all I wouldn't fight her etc.

I saw her back around Christmas. She wasn't talking Texan at all. She probably needs more than a couple months to convert. Maybe she talks like that at school and goes back to talking like a normal person while at home.

It's definitely a different Aggieland than when I was there in the late 80's, but still like a trip to the promised land every time I go back. Great memories from there. (And a dang good education)
Same here. Last time I visited the campus I stayed lost all day….. and soooo many students.

Including graduate students, almost 77,000 students. Yeah, it's a busy place and still increasing enrollment every year. It is easy to get lost and overwhelmed but everyone here is very helpful and wants the students to succeed. Good luck to your friend's daughter. I'm sure she will fit in just fine.

Including graduate students, almost 77,000 students. Yeah, it's a busy place and still increasing enrollment every year. It is easy to get lost and overwhelmed but everyone here is very helpful and wants the students to succeed. Good luck to your friend's daughter. I'm sure she will fit in just fine.
When I was there back in the dark ages, there were 7500 students, 75% were in the Corps of Cadets and Kyle Field held about 40K and was never over half full.

When I was there back in the dark ages, there were 7500 students, 75% were in the Corps of Cadets and Kyle Field held about 40K and was never over half full.
There was a lot of commissioned officers from A&M. I have a cousin that came out of the college in 1961 stayed in the Air Force for thirty years and retired as a three star general.

There was a lot of commissioned officers from A&M. I have a cousin that came out of the college in 1961 stayed in the Air Force for thirty years and retired as a three star general.
Mr. Hurley for many many years A&M produced more officers than any of the other military academies.

Last edited:
Howdy was short for how do you do. In my area it was pronounced hidda
When I lived in Burleson county, the guy I rented from had the standard greeting "Hiddy Hiddy"(no matter if he just saw you 30 minutes ago) . In person or on the phone, it was "Hiddy hiddy". My kids thought that was his name..

Latest posts