order buying

Help Support CattleToday:

a7 livestock

Reaction score
hello all, im looking for some insight into how the order buying process works, i have extensive knowledge of backgrounding feeders and selling them with superior. ive always been curious as to how this works and what i would have to do to start my own order buying business. any help and insight would be greatly appreciated!

You will find it is very hard to break into. The people already doing it want be real anxious to share details, and the folks on the other end already have people in place.

Bigfoot":zhy62bgf said:
You will find it is very hard to break into. The people already doing it want be real anxious to share details, and the folks on the other end already have people in place.
That's about it. And it really helps if you happen to know the right people.

You better be sharp and on the ball because order buyers love to teach lessons to new kids on the block. Read expensive lessons.

I'm starting to put this together, I have a large area with a ton of cattle to procure, who primarily places orders ?

a7 livestock":33r6add0 said:
I'm starting to put this together, I have a large area with a ton of cattle to procure, who primarily places orders ?

Different people who need cattle. It could be a producer who needs replacement heifers, or even an individual who only needs a couple of freezer calves. It may be a feedlot.

An order buyer needs to be quick, have a good eye, be aware of the current market and be able to buy at the best price possible.

There are quite a few order buyers at some of the livestock auctions.