Order Buyer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How can a person become an order buyer, I know all of the order buyers at the sale had to start some where or some how? Any advise. Do large packing houses hire buyers,etc.

[email protected]

> How can a person become an order
> buyer, I know all of the order
> buyers at the sale had to start
> some where or some how? Any
> advise. Do large packing houses
> hire buyers,etc.

I do not in any way mean this to come across disrespectful, but if you are aware that there are order buyers at a sale why don't you just ask them how they got started, or call some of the packing houses and talk to them?

[email protected]

Every situation maybe different, but in southern Illinois, I have two main selling options. I can either send them to the local sale barn, or I can send them to be slaughtered through IBP/Tyson. I was told the last time I talked to a IBP representitive that essentially all the fat cattle that go through the sale barns in this area end up being slaughtered at IBP. Case in point, last year I sold part of an identical group of fat cattle to IBP and part to the sale barn. I netted $100 per head more from selling them to IBP. So the buyer at the sale barn could have just grossed $100 per head off the cattle I had sold. One of the buyers at the sale barn never sees the cattle wxcept when bidding on them. After he buys them, they are loaded up on a semi and taken directly to the slaughtering plant. Anyway, not all the buyers buy for companies. I plan on trying to be an individual buyer at the local sale barns myself within the next couple months.

[email protected]

Latest posts