Orchard grass and Endophyte ?

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
I always hear about endophyte and fescue but can orchard grass get it? I found a seed head today that has the exact mouse poop stuff that our fescue has.

Nope. Seedhead issue is not an endophyte related symptom. Ergot, maybe. But the seedhead will appear normal with the endophyte. A good book, "The Wonder Grass". Other grass specie know to carry an endophyte issue: perennial ryegrass. All repeated there.

Ergot, Starts out looking orange, matures into a black mass resembling mouse poop. I've got it bad enough this year I can find it on fescue, orchard, annual ryegrass, and even a little of the johnson grass headed early enough to pick it up. They tell me it has the same effects on cattle as the endophyte but the 2 aren't related. Jill Schiedt published a short paper on it, see if I can round it up.

http://agebb.missouri.edu/news/swnews/showall.php?story_num=8330

Good to know. I don't recall seeing it on anything but fescue but today I looked over while I was in the utv and saw an orchard grass seedhead with with it. I was just more curious then anything, my cows have to eat and perform on what we have (primary fescue) anyways.

Latest posts