Optimum Ribeye size?

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
I was just wondering if someone has any links to research on the optimum ribeye size for today's consumer? I like a thick steak 1 1/4" to 1 1/2", if we produce animals with larger REA's then we are increasing the serving size of our steaks. I have read posts on this board of animals with 16" to 20+" REA. If you cut a thick steak off of one of these animals you would be serving a roast instead of a steak. I don't know what a cubic inch of beef weighs so I can't state weights. I have noticed at restaurants in my area that the square inch of steak on the plate is a good size but the cut is only 1/2" or so. IMO you can't cook a good thin cut steak. I think a good 14" to 15" REA would be about right but I don't know, that is why I'm looking for some good research.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about any research but in my opinion optimum ribeye size will change with the optimum pant size of the fella wearing them. No 2 people are the identical same and neither are there likes and dislikes.

The restaurant trade used to want a rib that when cut to 1 inch lickness weighed 1 lb.

birdog":3fihizeh said:
I was just wondering if someone has any links to research on the optimum ribeye size for today's consumer? I like a thick steak 1 1/4" to 1 1/2", if we produce animals with larger REA's then we are increasing the serving size of our steaks. I have read posts on this board of animals with 16" to 20+" REA. If you cut a thick steak off of one of these animals you would be serving a roast instead of a steak. I don't know what a cubic inch of beef weighs so I can't state weights. I have noticed at restaurants in my area that the square inch of steak on the plate is a good size but the cut is only 1/2" or so. IMO you can't cook a good thin cut steak. I think a good 14" to 15" REA would be about right but I don't know, that is why I'm looking for some good research.

Thanks in advance.

When people advertise bulls with those larger Ribeye sizes they are targeting a specific market.

For example, theoretically, when you breed a cow with an 8 sq. in. Ribeye to a bull with a 20 sq. in. Ribeye, the resulting calf should hit in around 14 sq. in., which is considered optimum. (Believe me, the number of low framed, short and squatty momma cows with an 8 sq. in. Ribeye is a substantial number.)

Ribeye size is also a good indicator of muscle content and cutability of an animal, which affects "Yield Grades".

The escalation of REA is not to make the Ribeye's larger than a consumer would want, but to eliminate those that are too small for an efficient animal.

MikeC":35xb9ih3 said:
birdog":35xb9ih3 said:

Thanks in advance.

When people advertise bulls with those larger Ribeye sizes they are targeting a specific market.

For example, theoretically, when you breed a cow with an 8 sq. in. Ribeye to a bull with a 20 sq. in. Ribeye, the resulting calf should hit in around 14 sq. in., which is considered optimum. (Believe me, the number of low framed, short and squatty momma cows with an 8 sq. in. Ribeye is a substantial number.)

Ribeye size is also a good indicator of muscle content and cutability of an animal, which affects "Yield Grades".

The escalation of REA is not to make the Ribeye's larger than a consumer would want, but to eliminate those that are too small for an efficient animal.

Thanks MikeC, that makes alot of sense I guess I was looking at it from a commercial producer trying to deliver a larger ribeye to the consumer and not from the seedstock producer providing a larger ribeye to correct deficiencies in a commercial herd. Do you know of any studies on Optimal REA?

Do you know of any studies on Optimal REA?

Sorry. Not following your train of thought.

Optimal Ribeye size for Consumers?
That could vary wildly from consumer to consumer.

Optimal Ribeye size for cattle?
That could also vary from rancher to rancher.

Please be a little more specific. Optimal for what?

We like a Ribeye to be about 1 pound at 3/4" to 1". We only need one per sitting. The girls eat the eye. I eat the rest. Bone out of course. We haven't eaten steak out in a long while.

MikeC":pc4p7t1t said:
Do you know of any studies on Optimal REA?

Sorry. Not following your train of thought.

Optimal Ribeye size for Consumers?
That could vary wildly from consumer to consumer.

Optimal Ribeye size for cattle?
That could also vary from rancher to rancher.

Please be a little more specific. Optimal for what?

I'm not sure I'm following my train of thought either. The more I think about it, I can see how "Optimal" will vary considerably. It's just a matter of personal preference. Thanks for your input and patience.

For a steak to be graded choice or better it must have a 10" ribeye. They don't measure the steak, just the eye. I cut meat for many years and raise cattle. We butchered a well fed simmi steer he was finished and he dressed out right, he also weighed 1325#. His ribeye was at 11-11.5". You can get a 1100# steer to measure the same if he is muscled out.

dcrossley":epmbtyn8 said:
For a steak to be graded choice or better it must have a 10" ribeye. They don't measure the steak, just the eye. I cut meat for many years and raise cattle. We butchered a well fed simmi steer he was finished and he dressed out right, he also weighed 1325#. His ribeye was at 11-11.5". You can get a 1100# steer to measure the same if he is muscled out.
Quality grade doesn't depend upon REA.

dun":1ogl1c5w said:
The restaurant trade used to want a rib that when cut to 1 inch lickness weighed 1 lb.

It's changed a bit. I'd rather cut a 1" ribeye to be about 12 oz. Producers are a bit off the mark here, but for understandable reasons. Unless the carcass price goes up there is no reason to base your decision on what the consumer wants. Until the consumer says I'm not going to pay that price for such a thin ribeye steak are we going to see smaller ribeyes going for what they are worth to the chef and the consumer. In other words, grow em big because that is what the market rewards. Keep your eye on the market though. I think big has about reached its threshold. Many chefs I know are balking at the bigger ribeyes and sirloins saying it is just too dang tough to cook such a thin steak to the temp ordered (i.e. medium rare and medium in particular). If the chefs are having that problem with trained professional cooks on high caliber equipment, Joe Blow on his backyard BBQ is producing a lot of well done instead of medium rare. When both of those consumers start wanting thicker cuts again, then grow them to that.

In the restaurant industry, cutting to thickness went away ten or more years ago. By and large, we all do it to weight now. These larger ribeyes and sirloins are making it tough for us to do it to consumer demand. Add that to the fact that consumers want smaller portions, it is REALLY tough to hit the target.
Personally, I'd be willing to pay a premium for sub-primals like ribeye and sirloin that I can cut to a good thickness of 1" to 2", but that is not what the market is rewarding right now.

dieselbeef":szl5x348 said:
or maybe these

Thickness looks good, marbling could be a heck of a lot better. I'd say they rate about mid-choice. They also weigh about 20 oz. on the right, and 24 oz. on the left (including the bone). I have a market for people wanting steaks this large, but it is a small market that also increases my costs because they always end up with to-go boxes and bags.

Those are some good looking steaks though. I'd want one myself if I hadn't already eaten a great t-bone of my own just a couple hours ago. I would recommend, though, that you put more heat under em because the fat is not going to get caramelized if you don't. If the fat does not caramelize it is nearly inedible. The whole point behind a ribeye is all the juicy, flavorful, edible fat. :cowboy:

pwilli3":1hhukcl4 said:
Producers are a bit off the mark here, but for understandable reasons. Unless the carcass price goes up there is no reason to base your decision on what the consumer wants.

This strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish. Might not make much of a difference today, but it reminds me of the big 3. Give them what WE want, who cares what the consumer wants. Before long the japanese automakers (pork, chicken) will start to get a bigger and bigger share of the protein dollar.

birdog":1n460ok8 said:

Thanks in advance.
birdog-

Click on this link and you will be able to view some research which will probably answer more questions than you wish to have answered. There are as many opinions concerning this subject (and OTHER subjects as well) as there are people who have opinions.

http://jas.fass.org/cgi/content/full/83/11/2598

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":143b9bcw said:
birdog":143b9bcw said:

Thanks in advance.
birdog-

Click on this link and you will be able to view some research which will probably answer more questions than you wish to have answered. There are as many opinions concerning this subject (and OTHER subjects as well) as there are people who have opinions.

http://jas.fass.org/cgi/content/full/83/11/2598

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc.

dcrossley":3necv2ej said:

I would consider that to be very small compared to weight