Optimizing Forage Acres ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
SGF just ran two business articles for optimizing the gross margin of forage operation. The first article described a way to calculate an optimum stocking rate. For example - - the number hay acres vs. grazing acres. The second article described a way to then rebalance the forage based enterprises. For example - - size of cow/calf vs. yearling herds. You might need to repeat the two steps if you make big changes.

Any one make it though these long articles? Your impressions?

No...haven't seen them but I can imagine. I haven't subscribed to or looked at a farm/ranch publication in years. The free ones go straight into the trash unless the wife picks it up because of a pretty picture on the cover. School books make my eyes glaze over...especially at my age. Trying something "new" means diddly squat.

Were they Jim Gerrish articles in a recent SGF? I do enjoy most of his writings. If I recall, he wrote that this exercise may help us realize that some of our enterprises are not profitable. (yearling, cow etc.)

Savory taught a similar principle on enterprise selection, using gross margin as a guide.

Whatever you might want to accomplish on the farm, I guess you know that you must be profitable. Always think "Profit First". -B Williams

Jim is a big picture guy. Back in his Misery days, he had an ag econ guy to crunch the numbers.

SGF articles were from a consulting woman who loves Excel. It would be interesting to run a CT survey on how many members have a profit objective. :deadhorse:

Latest posts