Optaflexx

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
Has anyone used Optaflexx or similar products on their market show animals? A friend who used to show and also runs a feedlot told me about using it on his show steer before taking it to state fair. He said it increased muscle on his animal, I didn't know if anyone else used it?

It works but you need to have the calf globby fat. It turns fat to muscle so without a fat calf it will tear them apart. It's Paylean designed for steers.

Cowboy 2.0":3dfxfys9 said:
It works but you need to have the calf globby fat. It turns fat to muscle so without a fat calf it will tear them apart. It's Paylean designed for steers.
I know you have to feed it approx. the last 28 days (if I remember correctly) before slaughter because it stimulates the receptors in the rumen. The steer we will be showing won't be growing much hair and is pretty smooth muscled (adequately muscled tho) and we thought if this would work on a show steer, it might give him the little bump in muscling he'll need to make up for his lack of hair. Have you tried it Cowboy?

I've used it on a few calves and it works but you can sure mess one up if your not careful.

We've used it on feedlot steers, but with the different feed we give the show steers I didn't know if it would mess them up.

Cowboy 2.0":1iq2sfm4 said:
It turns fat to muscle

Would that not be impossible? Perhaps it hardens the fat in order for it to look like muscle. Fat cells are fat cells while muscle cells are muscle cells.

If it really turns fat into muscle, then it's a miracle that I can't comprehend...

Well I really know not how all those things work. All I know is it takes fat for optaflex to build muscle.

If I am remembering correctly, this is how it works, roughly:

Optaflexx (the brand name for Elanco's ractopamine product for cattle) turns excess nutrition into muscle instead of fat. This takes extra energy. Fat storage in cattle is basically energy storage. So, the fat deposits are used to help accomplish the extra work of the body in turning the excess nutrition into muscle. In this case, I use the term excess nutrition in regards to any nutrition above maintenance of the animal.

Here is the link to the products' website
http://www.elanco.us/products/optaflexx.htm

Ryan