Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide":3lbmahr0 said:
DOC HARRIS":3lbmahr0 said:
"Dairy" confirmation - the breed could be any of several with lousy genetics and phenotype - I think she should be wormed - and fed some minerals.

DOC HARRIS

I would have thought someone with your "vast" knowledge would know that its confOrmation, not confIrmation. :roll: :roll:

MM-sure, they look rough, but I agree with others..just hay coming off winter..hard to make a totally condemning or otherwise judgement against them...green grass does wonders. :D

spinandslide-

I am disappointed that in your eagerness to criticize, you obviously overlooked the subtle distinction in meaning between "confOrmation and confIrmation. I'll have to admit, however that the distinction is probably too vague to be understood by someone with a chip on their shoulder which weighs on their objectivity, but - when you get right down to it - I probably made a typographical mistake in typing and inadvertently struck the "i" instead of the "o". But - either spelling carries with it an incisive message - for those astute enough to recognize it!

Thanks for pointing out that mistake. It just proves that no matter how hard one seems to work at thinking and acting, we ALL mess up occasionally. Let's hope it is on more or less UNimportant factors than those which affect our lives or income or futures!

OR SALVATION.

DOC HARRIS

Look like half-starved angus cross to me. If I had to guess, I'd say about 75% angus, 25%gelbvieh. Wormer + mineral and green grass, they'll look much better in no time.

capt":3ktbdqvq said:
As for conformation, they are built for calving ease, but definitely need more bone and muscle. I would say the typical result of low low birth weight angus genetics. They are coming out of the low maintenance winter ration just fine and just because they are licking themselves does not necessarily indicate lice (sometimes the case, sometimes just indicates an increase in condition from a better ration and that they are starting to shed that winter hair). Most years we will see that in the mountain region towards the end of March when mother nature cooperates, later when no cooperation!

The first heifer needs to see a feedlot and then the kill floor. The second heifer, with some corrective matings, might make a commercial cow. I can't help but also wonder after seeing the twine on the ground if that first heifer hasn't chewed and swallowed some twine and might be suffering from "soft"ware. Wouldn't be the first time it has happened. I can't help but notice that as it bothers me alot when people have invested time and money in cattle and then you see twine or wire laying around here or there. I have been known to drop a twine or two feeding and that happens but I take the time to go pick it up after driving through checking the feed line and cows. There is no substitute for the small details!!

These are not herd starters...just something she raised to pay her way thru school. They'll both find the kill floor in time.

DOC HARRIS":2l9a632n said:
spinandslide":2l9a632n said:
DOC HARRIS":2l9a632n said:
"Dairy" confirmation - the breed could be any of several with lousy genetics and phenotype - I think she should be wormed - and fed some minerals.

DOC HARRIS

I would have thought someone with your "vast" knowledge would know that its confOrmation, not confIrmation. :roll: :roll:

MM-sure, they look rough, but I agree with others..just hay coming off winter..hard to make a totally condemning or otherwise judgement against them...green grass does wonders. :D

spinandslide-

I am disappointed that in your eagerness to criticize, you obviously overlooked the subtle distinction in meaning between "confOmation and confImation. I'll have to admit, however that the distinction is probably too vague to be understood by someone with a chip on their shoulder which weighs on their objectivity, but - when you get right down to it - I probably made a typographical mistake in typing and inadvertently struck the "i" instead of the "o". But - either spelling carries with it an incisive message - for those astute enough to recognize it!

Thanks for pointing out that mistake. It just proves that no matter how hard one seems to work at thinking and acting, we ALL mess up occasionally. Let's hope it is on more or less UNimportant factors than those which affect our lives or income or futures!

OR SALVATION.

DOC HARRIS

I do think I have ever seen you make a spelling error. Your vocabulary is as about as high as they come. You must work crossword puzzles. eh?

Herefordsire-

Thank you, but - no - crossword puzzles are not my purvue. I don't have the patience to do them! :roll: Now, Table Tennis is another game - ALTOGETHER!

I am a Type A personality! :banana: :wave: :help: :lol: :nod: :nod:

DOC HARRIS

Lets enter the crap shoot Angus X tarentaise. the first one needs some more depth in the heart and flank and the second one is not to bad of a yearling that has just came through a winter in the high country.

First one's a Jersey x Angus. No recent pics of her; I sold her a few weeks ago.

Second one's a Holstein x Angus. Here she is last week:
5-11-09030.jpg

Like her better now that she's slicked off? She's 930lbs per the weight tape, turns a year old at the end of the week. :shock:

I'm curious what kind of place you sold the jersey/angus to. I'm a small acreage guy, and I've decided that type of cow is ideal for an all-around producer of milk and meat. Pure dairy too much milk for most families. Don't know if a guy would want her just for beef production, though.

My little lowline angus X jersey cow is producing 2 gallons of milk daily recently on fresh grass a year after calving (got her bred late). Need to dry her up soon and so need to cut that back.

They show dairy. Dairy cross should be terminal only. I just can't see the point of dairy blood in a stock cow. You'll be docked on her calves forever.
Maybe OK if you intend to put an extra calf on her.