opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I just posted an ad about knowing where a small herd was for sale, shouldn't have done that-my fault. Anyway, does it sound like a good deal? I might go look at them Sat. (33 cows, 19 calves and more on the way and 1 bull) all black except two white ones. Good EAR from the pics I've seen. Older cattleman who says he just can't do it anymore because of feed and diesel cost. He is asking $30,600. This post is for advice and opinions, I'm not posting it to help sale--I will not give out his info on here or PM. Just want y'all's opinion.

sounds like a good deal to me.thats just a tad over $900 a hd/pair.will he agree to having the remaining 14hd preg checked.what about the age of the cows.are their any real old or bad bagg cows on the herd.how old is the bull.

bigbull338":1fp0a8g9 said:
sounds like a good deal to me.thats just a tad over $900 a hd/pair.will he agree to having the remaining 14hd preg checked.what about the age of the cows.are their any real old or bad bagg cows on the herd.how old is the bull.

All good questions I need to ask before making the 125 mile trip.

$900 a pair is pretty close to cull costs I guess . . . depending on the cows.

If I had the chance to do things over again with $30k, I'd buy a smaller amount of higher quality cattle and build my own herd. But that's just me and it's WITHOUT knowing the quality of what you're buying. You should be able to find out a lot by asking what the previous owner has invested in things lately. Does he research his bull selection or just look for a sack of nuts. How does he decide which females to cull and which to keep. Might give you some more insight into the type of herd you're getting.

Did you go look at the cows? 900 each is really cheap for good black cows/bull/over half calved out, if they are good quality, young cows.
My experiences have told me that there are no real good deals for me if the cattle are advertised. There are many sales barns in the area that have someone looking over the ads in the local papers before those papers hit the streets. They call one of their fieldmen and he goes and buys the cattle if they are a good deal. The next guys are the individuals who buy and bust up the herds for a living. They also get the paper before regular people do. They are the second group looking over the cattle.
So, when the regular guy goes and looks at a group of cattle, the guys who do it for a living have already passed them up as not a good enough deal for them. The cattle might work for you, but it is nearly impossible to get a really good deal on advertised cattle. The exception is the specialty type cow that normal buyers dont want or too few head to be worth the time for the buyers.
Your being 125 miles away makes it difficult for me to think you will be there before the pro guys are.
I spent a few years running down the newspaper ads before I realized what a waste of time and money it was. The exception was a herd of 50 white parks crosses, but they were a specialty group and priced too high for the regular buyers.
Last Septemeber, I got an ad off the internet just minutes after it came on for 15 longhorn 3 year old second periods for 500 each. I was going to buy them over the phone, sight unseen, but someone else had gotten earlier info and called and bought them over the phone.
Hope you have better luck.

The price is more htan right if tehy can survive the trip to your place and stay around for a couple years :D
I'd ask him to snap some photos of them and send them to you if he could, get an idea on age and health. If they are healthy the price is great if you have the money and the resources

Latest posts