Opinions Please!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I've got a heifer that has been in the barn since 9pm last night, she seems slightly restless, up and down some, smelling the ground and rubbing her butt fairly roughly on every thing. Her stool has got more loose since this behavior started. But, no pushing no water broke, no feet etc. Is she just preparing herself or showing signs of trouble? She has never got to pushing for me to start timing progress. I hate to go sleeveing her etc. if it's not time. I prefer to let them try and have it on their own. INFO.= She's a large heifer. I did find out that she did not stick to the A.I. and the cleanup bull is questionable in my opinion for heifers CE 8. Thanks for your opinions. B&G

That behavior indicates discomfort but I see signs of discomfort normal before partum. Being large frame does not always equal large birth canal. I have all my heifers scored by the vet. I see many cases of smaller framed heifers with higher birth canal scores.

If I were in those circumstances, I would reach a point when I would want to palpate.

Bright Raven":17qx209m said:
That behavior indicates discomfort but I see signs of discomfort normal before partum. Being large frame does not always equal large birth canal. I have all my heifers scored by the vet. I see many cases of smaller framed heifers with higher birth canal scores.

If I were in those circumstances, I would reach a point when I would want to palpate.
Bears repeating!

I agree with checking her. Our heifer that had the twin embryo calves was doing the same behavior, and it ended up the calf in front had his feet down so no progress could be made. She would lay down, get up, sniff the ground, but no clear sign of pushing.
Sleeve her rectally, see what is going on.

Soooo? All good?

I had one this morning with the blood/gunk all wrapped around her tail and hind end, was sure she had calved but I couldn't find it & she wasn't acting like it. Just as I was getting ready to walk her to the barn/chute she decided she no longer wanted to hang out with me, walked away about 150 yards & spit out a bull calf. Okay, then!

All is good, I guess a watched pot never boils! LOL I had to leave yesterday morning for my boys wrestling tournament. But I had a friend come out and check her about an hour or so after I left. Said " trying to nurse now" with these pics. I was like wow! Her new name is now Amana as in oven. Thanks everyone for their help/support! B&G

TCRanch":2up0i8yc said:
Soooo? All good?

I had one this morning with the blood/gunk all wrapped around her tail and hind end, was sure she had calved but I couldn't find it & she wasn't acting like it. Just as I was getting ready to walk her to the barn/chute she decided she no longer wanted to hang out with me, walked away about 150 yards & spit out a bull calf. Okay, then!

I had one acting like that a couple weeks ago. She was running around a pond bawling and acting like she was looking for her calf. Even looked to me like she was skinny like they get just after calving. (Must have been my mind playing with me) I just assumed she spit her calf off in the water. So I tried to walk her to the barn (about half a mile) instead she runs full speed through a new 6 wire fence out into a 160 of crp. Once I found her I ran the ol hag hard as she could run to the coral with the gator ( I was beyond pizzed at this point). Penned her up and ran home to get a container to milk the colostrum into, and she was licking off her calf. Wasn't gone 5 min. I have anger issues when it comes to stupid cows

I had one acting like that a couple weeks ago. She was running around a pond bawling and acting like she was looking for her calf. Even looked to me like she was skinny like they get just after calving. (Must have been my mind playing with me) I just assumed she spit her calf off in the water. So I tried to walk her to the barn (about half a mile) instead she runs full speed through a new 6 wire fence out into a 160 of crp. Once I found her I ran the ol hag hard as she could run to the coral with the gator ( I was beyond pizzed at this point). Penned her up and ran home to get a container to milk the colostrum into, and she was licking off her calf. Wasn't gone 5 min. I have anger issues when it comes to stupid cows[/quote]
Same, too many good cows out there to have stupid ones IMHO B&G I'll take an ending like that any day, nice looking pair

Latest posts