Opinions Please on this Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Does he have EPDs? Ratios? The picture isn't the best, can you tell us what you specifically like about him?

Murray Grey

BW WW 205 Wt NR ADG ADG Rat 365 Wt YR WDA RFI
76 , 612 , 633 ,93 , 2.18 , 83 , 983 , 89 ,2.43 ,-0.43

BW WW Milk Year TM Scrotal

-0.3 , +2 , -1 ,+6 , 0 ,-.30

Adj , REA , Adj , %IMF
Fat , REA , REA , Ratio ,%IMF , %IMF , Ratio
0.16, 12.3 , 11.9 , 105 , 3.14 , 2.99 , 94

Legs on the corners, deep heart girth, bred for grass conversion, moderate frame, reported docility.
That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
He may have metaphysically winked at me though ;-) :) so I'm interested in others opinions.

The picture leaves a lot to be desired but IMO the bull doesn't. He's thick(very), moderate frame, his numbers are good and he will most likely do just what you expect of him.

There's nothing wrong with his WW or YW, by the looks of him he should throw very efficient easy fleshing calves that will make you a lot of money without a lot of inputs and all the other not so good things that come with 750 weaning weights and 1300lb yearling weights.

BTW I sat through a lot of bull sales looking for just the right bull this year and saw very few if any bulls with actual yearling weights approaching anything near 1300lbs.

You have a very nice bull. But you already knew that, didn't you?

The pic's aren't great but that is a very good looking bull. That is the type that leave's good cows behind. He won't due too well in the show ring.But he'll due.

twistedxranch":17kthz9b said:
That is a pretty crappy yearling weight. I wont own or buy any bull that does not have a yearling weight over 1300 pounds. The reason being is that I am selling pounds and that bull there just isnt it. Secondly, along the lines of selling pounds that weaning weight is pee poor. I want at least 750 pound weaning weight. I prefer anywhere between 70-85 pound birthweight on bulls.

Surely not another re-incarnation?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KNERSIE":2bcqssid said:
twistedxranch":2bcqssid said:
That is a pretty crappy yearling weight. I wont own or buy any bull that does not have a yearling weight over 1300 pounds. The reason being is that I am selling pounds and that bull there just isnt it. Secondly, along the lines of selling pounds that weaning weight is pee poor. I want at least 750 pound weaning weight. I prefer anywhere between 70-85 pound birthweight on bulls.

Here we go again!

ANAZAZI":2yv3gdml said:
KNERSIE":2yv3gdml said:
twistedxranch":2yv3gdml said:

Here we go again!

:welcome: back! We've missed ya!

Say there, "twisted",
This bulls bw was 70-85 lbs, and it seems my stated preference for a moderate frame would automatically exclude 1300 lb and over yearling wts.
I'd say you've displayed a pee poor ability to actually read a post, and just decided to make a crappy rant, rather than respond to the post itself.
But thanks for keepin it lively. No matter who you are now.

twistedxranch":1anjje1v said:

That's what i get for reading this late at night. I complete missed the reincarnation. Looks like he's back.

Come on Jacka-- show us what you've got.

I like the bull pretty well. Nice and thick. What's his frame size? Did you buy him from the Midland Bull Test? I know their sale was last week. I don't like his ADG ratio or WW epd (I would like to be closer to breed average), but he'll probably be just right for grass finished beef.

Thanks for the input so far 3way, keren, and W.T.
Like him or not he's mine for this season at least (June breeding).
I bought him from the Midland Bull Test kinda by surprise. I been leaning towards MG's for a couple of years now and saw him and just went for it.
You can make a better assessment of him from this video if you like, I know I would like some more rational input even though the train is already on the track.
His length comes across better in the video.

http://www.frontierstockyards.com/MBT/VideoPages/1284.html

Thanks

I saw your video. Looks "hard fed". Why wouldn't he have a heavier yearling weight?
Anyway, he looks good to me.

I watched the videoclip over and again and still haven't quite made up my mind, he is long and reasonably thick with adequate width, I'm just not absolutely convinced he is as early maturing is you think. For my taste I'd like a stronger more masculine head and neck and for grass genetics I would have expected him to be more filled out on the inner thighs in his condition at this age.

He travels OK, steps through slightly, especially on the left side even walking as slowly as he does in this clip. You could argue he might have a touch more set to his legs than the ideal, but thats minimal. He is rolling his hip slightly when walking, but that could be caused by a slight injury or just walking uncomfortably on what appears to be very uneven ground. Nothing that would really concern me, but thought I'll mention it since you asked.

Overall I think you have done well. What is your cowherd like, weaknesses, goals etc?

twistedxranch":rl9v4jw9 said:
KNERSIE":rl9v4jw9 said:
twistedxranch":rl9v4jw9 said:

Surely not. I haven't the slightest idea as to what you are talking about.

Time will tell.......

Hard fed is what I thought when I first looked at him, like an atheletic kid on an ice cream diet. I also considered that being on a real world diet of what he is genetically supposed to be on and working he would clean up in the right areas and carry himself better without losing the fleshy aspects (not a fact, just liked the odds). What I have learned of the MG's is the direction I would like to proceed in. Moderate, grass genetics, docility, and this bull would appear to be easy on the mommas. Right now I would be crossing on tigerstripes and baldies and looking for a pb MG or 2 to possibly start a new direction to purely grass fed ahead. This Bull represents an opportunity for me to explore options I have been entertaining.

Well, I guess I'm an oddball. I don't sell pounds. I sell for profit. If he's getting into grassfeeding, larger framed cows won't do as well without supplements, especially in the deep south. Those supplements can cut into your proft real quick.

On the bull, I don't know if I'm sold on him. I'm not a big fan of black hides that far south, and I'm wondering, if you are going to a grassfeeding operation, was this bull on grain? If so, he may fall apart without it. Don't know if you posted that info somewhere and I missed it. Sorry if I did.

twistedxranch":2dlfyc5g said:
3waycross":2dlfyc5g said:
The picture leaves a lot to be desired but IMO the bull doesn't. He's thick(very), moderate frame, his numbers are good and he will most likely do just what you expect of him.

There's nothing wrong with his WW or YW, by the looks of him he should throw very efficient easy fleshing calves that will make you a lot of money without a lot of inputs and all the other not so good things that come with 750 weaning weights and 1300lb yearling weights.

BTW I sat through a lot of bull sales looking for just the right bull this year and saw very few if any bulls with actual yearling weights approaching anything near 1300lbs.

You have a very nice bull. But you already knew that, didn't you?

I take it you dont watch many auctions on rfd or go to to many breeder sales because everyone that I have watched on RFD or been to in the last 4-5 years if they are serious breeders are selling pounds and they have high weaning weights and high yearling weights. Not this 600 pound stuff I am talking about 7-800 some odd pound weaning weights and 1300 and above yearling weights. Saw an angus sale the other day and they had a ext son in there that had like a 1625 yearling weight.

OK Moron,you win,now go see if you can find someone else to fight with. Try some of the new guys they probably don't know who you are yet, but you will show them soon enough.

BTW I'm curious how long do you think you will last this time around? TMB. :nod:

Latest posts