Opinions on this calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":2lxpsy6x said:
He looks like the right kind to bring some good money thru the sale barn.
Brute, do you see something that would cause you not to keep him as a bull? This calf is softer made than some of the other bull calves we have right now, and maybe not as much growth during the first few months. He has a really nice top line, and looks to have nice depth also.

southernultrablack":4ycpvdsx said:
Brute 23":4ycpvdsx said:
He looks like the right kind to bring some good money thru the sale barn.
Brute, do you see something that would cause you not to keep him as a bull? This calf is softer made than some of the other bull calves we have right now, and maybe not as much growth during the first few months. He has a really nice top line, and looks to have nice depth also.

I actually did not see the part where you said... do you think he has what it takes to be a keeper? Being that the cat is out of the bag, no I would not keep him. Here are a couple reasons why.

1, I would not keep a home raised bull unless I was a big outfit in that game. You can not beat buying a bull, with history, ready to rock and roll. That is worth paying some one else to assume that risk IMO.

2, If you have to ask if he is good enough... hes probably not.

Keep in mind not all bulls that look good have the breeding to actually pass that on to their offspring.

That's just my opinion from a pic. Take it for what its worth. Its hard to tell any thing at that age. He may grow in to a beast. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. :tiphat: I don't think you have any thing to loose keeping him to a yearling or what ever just as an experiment. We all like before and after posts. :)

southernultrablack":3pwaw82b said:
Almost 4 months old. In yalls opinion, does he look like he might have what it takes to be a keeper?

He looks better than 80% of those I look at. I would keep him and see how he develops. We are small breeders by most standards and kept one last year that is off a bred cow I purchased last spring. I turned him out with a few head last Monday. At this point he is better than anything I can afford to buy. Anything I've seen comparable to him has sold for over 4 around here. I would sure develop him before I made a decision to castrate him. The argument a small breeder shouldn't keep his own bulls doesn't fly with me.

GAonmymind":26fbjsnm said:

What do you think of this one?

I bet he will do great at the local sale barn! I wouldn't be keeping him as a bull prospect. Then again, it's hard to tell at his age what he will turn out to be later....but I would be pointing him toward the sale barn at this time.

Here's A few updated pics of the calf at about 6 months old.

I feel like he lacks the masculinity that I would like to see. What do y'all think?
Here's a pic of one of his herd mates, same age.

Latest posts