Opinions on these young Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Good morning ya'll. Wanted to get some thoughts good or bad on these potential bulls. I'm looking to add one this fall and have been looking at these Reg. Sim Bulls. Looking to add pounds to my steer calves in a couple groups.

Really difficult to judge by pictures but I like the top one. He has more muscle and is masculine. Some will complain about his white back feet. I have read studies that say the white hoof is not statistically different from black hoof. So I would not be concerned about that.

Looking at the pictures now hat I'm home I'd say the first one. Second bull pictured is really nice just doesn't look as masculine as the first bull.

Top bull is 18 months bottom is 17. If I do select one of these Bulls, an added advantage to me would be if they would throw white face calves. Everyone around my area Love's a white face calf.

Muddy":1aqd6agl said:
The first bull seems he lacks of the length. Not sure if it's a bad thing or good thing.

He isn't standing square which I'm sure is making him look short in length

Some EPD on these 2. Starting with top bulls numbers first. BWs were 80 and 70#
CE 5.95/1.95
BIRTH 4.80/5.65
WEAN 102.95/65.90
MILK 31.50/27.70
DOC 8.95/12.20
CW 23.50/29.95

1 over 2. Goggled eyed and appears to show more muscle expression. Pictures and lie. How do they move?

Franke, I've seen the group of 13 and the #1 bull I posted was my favorite. He's very docile and moves well. Has nice legs/feet.

Franke":32w11o5u said:
1 over 2. Goggled eyed and appears to show more muscle expression. Pictures and lie.
How do they move?
In addition more masculine, body depth and I believe his weaned steers will be heavier from early growth than 2
based on both his phenotype and epds and that was your stated objective. I believe 2's finished steers will be a tad
taller with slightly more later growth in the feedlot than 1's but that isn't a priority of yours and why I said 1 over 2.

Son of Butch":iy71lc4q said:
Franke":iy71lc4q said:
1 over 2. Goggled eyed and appears to show more muscle expression. Pictures and lie.
How do they move?
In addition more masculine, body depth and I believe his weaned steers will be heavier from early growth than 2
based on both his phenotype and epds and that was your stated objective. I believe 2's finished steers will be a tad
taller with slightly more later growth in the feedlot than 1's but that isn't a priority of yours and why I said 1 over 2.
I'm with Butch on this one! Bull 1 should make nice steers. I prefer 2 for actual structural correctness. I'm not a fan of the rear third in bull one for a replacement female sire. He appears very short from hooks to pins and is pretty straight in his hocks.

Boot Jack Bulls":oa29fd3z said:
Son of Butch":oa29fd3z said:
Franke":oa29fd3z said:
How do they move?
I'm with Butch on this one! Bull 1 should make nice steers. I prefer 2 for actual structural correctness. I'm not a fan of the rear third in bull one for a replacement female sire. He appears very short from hooks to pins and is pretty straight in his hocks.
Can't argue too much with that. When I judged in college I went with my first thought got them sorted then picked them apart for reasons. In the end for you to be happy with him you need to like his calves and only time can truly tell that. Stick with your first instinct. There are plenty of round hipped cattle out there that do very well.

Latest posts