Opinions on these heifers..(pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
6.jpg

A May 2004 calf out of Angus bull and an Angus cross cow.

11.jpg

A July 2004 calf out of same Angus bull and a Angus cow.

Give me the pros and cons of each. I know others see things that I overlook and want to improve my herd. Not the best of pictures but with it raining about everyday my daughter ran out and snapped a couple quick ones.

hard to tell about 1 pic, and the first one has a lot of shadow in it.. and the pics make her look smaller than the younger heifer. (and she could be, i dont know)

from those 2 pics i really like the 2nd one... a straight back line and she looks long. if you get bashed more than you can stand on her, i will come and take her off your hands so you wont have to deal with her. :lol:

jt

I like both, either one can eat crackers in my barn anytime.

no1 def. shows the cross in her, a bit of red wooly looking?

I am a fan of cross cattle, especially angus crosses. I would suspect (and I could be wrong, I have been known to be, just ask my wife) that if you breed No1 back to a purebred bull, you should find a calf with all the looks of a pure bred angus, and the vigor of a hybrid...thats what I like.

My herd is split into several catagories, of course the pure breds, the crosses, and the purebreds that went all wrong............meaning that I had a chance to buy another man's culls from his purebred herd, that consisted of several humpbacks, and other obvious defect from too much inbreeding..as the vet calls it, Noah's ark gone bad. ;-)

Having bred these heifers and cows to a cross bull has produced some excellent calves free of these defects................thus I am a fan of the hybrid vigor these days.

If you need to find a home for these poor unfortunate heifers, I happen to have room in my barn for a few more this winter.lol :p :p :p ;-) :cboy: