Opinions on these Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

The 822 calf seems pretty thick. However his ear set and shape look like he is not purebred angus. Does he have something else in him? Nice calf

The bull looks out-towed in the front feet. Might just be the way he is standing, but I don't like the way he slopes downward from tail head to shoulders. Something just doesn't look right to me. Appears to be adequately muscled, but nothing excessive. Might also be a little sickle hocked in his hind legs, but that again may also be the way he is standing.

The calf appears to be pretty wide across his top for being 3 1/2 weeks old, but that is about all you can tell at this point. Evaluate him at weaning, and then again as a yearling and you will be able to tell if he has what it taked to be a breeder or not.

bandit80":1jacnsbw said:
The bull looks out-towed in the front feet. Might just be the way he is standing, but I don't like the way he slopes downward from tail head to shoulders. Something just doesn't look right to me. Appears to be adequately muscled, but nothing excessive. Might also be a little sickle hocked in his hind legs, but that again may also be the way he is standing.

The calf appears to be pretty wide across his top for being 3 1/2 weeks old, but that is about all you can tell at this point. Evaluate him at weaning, and then again as a yearling and you will be able to tell if he has what it taked to be a breeder or not.

He is sickle hocked.

If he was leaner it would have been quite a sight.

RD-Sam-
from what i can see in the photo -i really like the calf. he has the bone and topline width that i breed for. what was his birthweight? looks as though he may have been a pretty hefty newborn. i notice his ear is notched - was that for PI testing or rather for herd i.d.?
as far as the bull- i prefer more length, muscle expression, heart girth, less cannon-bone and deeper flank. although he may be headed a little down-hill, it sure looks like his hind end is the high-end. a different picture of him might get a totally different opinion though.

ROB

KNERSIE":xe85fw9v said:
bandit80":xe85fw9v said:

He is sickle hocked.
he is, and its pretty apparent.

alacattleman":x10fe1fy said:
KNERSIE":x10fe1fy said:
bandit80":x10fe1fy said:

He is sickle hocked.
he is, and its pretty apparent.

Does sickle hocked mean his knees go inward? I thought they looked a bit off.

CattleHand":1r5u2hqe said:
When viewed from the side the rear lower leg is roughly like one side of a parenthetes. ) Just not that exagerated

dun":f20ajqu6 said:
CattleHand":f20ajqu6 said:
When viewed from the side the rear lower leg is roughly like one side of a parenthetes. ) Just not that exagerated
dun's right , look at the cannon bone below the knee. 'hocks'

You mean Figure 10 if you are talking about sickle hock. I saved that, it's one of the best explainations of beef cattle I have seen. Hereford sire should read that as well, lots of good structure info in there. :)

RD-Sam":2zjf6m7r said:
You mean Figure 10 if you are talking about sickle hock. I saved that, it's one of the best explainations of beef cattle I have seen. Hereford sire should read that as well, lots of good structure info in there. :)

Figure 18 looks like my smallest steer.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

HerefordSire":122zda3n said:
RD-Sam":122zda3n said:

Figure 18 looks like my smallest steer.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Was that before or after you drank all that whiskey? :lol2:

The link given by dun is one of the best available for LEARNING what to look for - phenotypically! I recommend that one access it - copy it - keep it and LEARN it. Answers most "...I don't know what that means...." questions!

DOC HARRIS

First of all, I would like to thank Sam for posting the pictures for me. Apperently, I don't have the software in my computer or my head to make my pictures small enough to load on this site.

I would also like to thank everyone for their comments, good or bad, I really appreciate unbiased opinions.

Now it's time to fill in the gaps.

The bull is PRF Dakota Ambush 704. He was @ 21 months old when the picture was taken in the pasture with the cows. He's a son of B/R Ambush 28 from one of my more prolific cows. She's butterball of a matron who put 4.07 #'s a day on him. Studded at Genex Ft. Payne where he made 600 straws in 2 days of collection. (could've made more but thats all I needed)

The bull calf is out of a daughter of Ambush 28, sired by 4268. He was 3 1/2 weeks in the photo and has an interim $B of 70+. Came into the world at 71#'s, 4 days early.

We PI notch everthing since they require it at the feedlots anyway. All of my seedstock cattle that don't make the cut at weaning get sent out for carcass data.

I hope this filled in some of the gaps, and again, I appreciate the opinions.

Sizmic

Jason Buckles
Pea Ridge Farms
Glendale KY

He is still sickle-hocked, and his heart girth has not "sprung out" any more open in this picture than in the first one. His pedigree may have some fine names, but the bull is what he is - pedigree not withstanding.

DOC HARRIS