Opinions on my cowherd

Help Support CattleToday:

WarEagle73":2gf52tt3 said:
I'm curious as well. Obviously I bought the bull so I like him, but I'd like peoples opinions on him directly since the herd sire is arguably the most important purchase for the whole herd.

Also, thanks for all the kind comments. We have worked hard on this, but I respect constructive criticism and would love to hear what people that have more experience than I do think about my ideas and practices.

I don't think you have a bad bull at all.
Being your commercial I would run in a little different direction being in the south.
I would be buying Braford type cattle as red white face are cheaper and selling the higher priced black baldies.
That's just me I want a red white faced cow's as I have option's with balck your stuck on black.
Bring a Char bull and ring the bell at the barn just like the black one's and both heifer's bring a premium as replacement's.

Caustic Burno":jg29mgkc said:
WarEagle73":jg29mgkc said:
I'm curious as well. Obviously I bought the bull so I like him, but I'd like peoples opinions on him directly since the herd sire is arguably the most important purchase for the whole herd.

Also, thanks for all the kind comments. We have worked hard on this, but I respect constructive criticism and would love to hear what people that have more experience than I do think about my ideas and practices.

Being your commercial I would run in a little different direction being in the south.
I would be buying Braford type cattle as red white face are cheaper and selling the higher priced black baldies.
That's just me I want a red white faced cow's as I have option's with balck your stuck on black.
Bring a Char bull and ring the bell at the barn just like the black one's and both heifer's bring a premium as replacement's.

I agree with CB on this. Chances are if you are breeding "black" on "black" down here, you're breeding angus to angus (or at least mostly angus influence), which is a losing ticket on sale day.

Start buying up some RWF mommas with a tick of Brimmer (Hereford X Gert would be my choice :D), put a terminal bull over them and mash the heII out of the scales on sale day! :2cents:

Caustic Burno":36r7yme2 said:
WarEagle73":36r7yme2 said:

he's only a few miles from me,,, you cant find braford here anymore ... but you cant sling a dead cat and not hit a angus, or registerd angus breeder for that matter. the only thing id do differernt, is have all Brangus moma's...

SSGenetics":1ooei3bv said:
Caustic Burno":1ooei3bv said:
WarEagle73":1ooei3bv said:

I agree with CB on this. Chances are if you are breeding "black" on "black" down here, you're breeding angus to angus (or at least mostly angus influence), which is a losing ticket on sale day. Start buying up some RWF mommas with a tick of Brimmer (Hereford X Gert would be my choice :D), put a terminal bull over them and mash the heII out of the scales on sale day! :2cents:
i dont know where you sell at, but just a short drive will tell you whats selling good around here. who knows the market may change next week.... thats why i like brangus cows their versatile

OK, just an example and you can substitute any breeds and weights you want.

BA bull on BA cows = 550lb-650lb, black hided, marketable calf.

Black Simmi bull on F1 cows = 650lb-750lb, black hided, marketable calf.

Which calves would you want on your trailer on sale day?

If you're a commercial cattleman selling straightbred calves on sale day, you are losing lbs which is $$, and should get in the seedstock business. JMO :2cents:

The problem with black on black is your are losing hybred vigor and pound's, unless you follow AlaCowman's advice and run Brangus momma's. Need a touch of Brimmer to mash the scale's. A commercial cowman in the south that isn't running a 1/4 to 1/8 Brammer in the South is losing money.
I don't know about there you almost have to sign loan papers to buy a Brangus here the only thing that bring's more is a Tiger.

SSGenetics":2xciz6he said:

If you're a commercial cattleman selling straightbred calves on sale day, you are losing lbs which is $$, and should get in the seedstock business. JMO :2cents:

Great mind's or Dumb asses think alike you decide.

Caustic Burno":efbb7a8x said:
The problem with black on black is your are losing hybred vigor and pound's, unless you follow AlaCowman's advice and run Brangus momma's. Need a touch of Brimmer to mash the scale's. A commercial cowman in the south that isn't running a 1/4 to 1/8 Brammer in the South is losing money.
I don't know about there you almost have to sign loan papers to buy a Brangus here the only thing that bring's more is a Tiger.
i raise my own but ......

SSGenetics said:

If you're a commercial cattleman selling straightbred calves on sale day, you are losing lbs which is $$, and should get in the seedstock business. JMO :2cents:[/quote trust me, dont need examples ive done it.. and know all about that,, red simmental's on braford f1's """that i developed''.. homo black and polled simm on braford and simbrah F1's ,, the extra pounds i know about.... if you dont believe me im a short drive from Huntsville, and have the proof ... the thing about this site is you have to reintroduce your self on a regular basis :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":3hw11upt said:
SSGenetics":3hw11upt said:

If you're a commercial cattleman selling straightbred calves on sale day, you are losing lbs which is $$, and should get in the seedstock business. JMO :2cents:[/quote trust me, dont need examples ive done it.. and know all about that,, red simmental's on braford f1's """that i developed''.. homo black and polled simm on braford and simbrah F1's ,, the extra pounds i know about.... if you dont believe me im a short drive from Huntsville, and have the proof ... the thing about this site is you have to reintroduce your self on a regular basis :cowboy:

I gotcha! Been reading these boards for too long to mention before I started posting. :tiphat:

Caustic Burno":2qv7i3s4 said:
SSGenetics":2qv7i3s4 said:

Great mind's or Dumb asses think alike you decide.

CB, Im starting to wonder... :frowns:

ALACOWMAN":3rwik7hp said:
a commercial man does well to keep crossbred momas... that way you can changed breeds of bulls if the market trends shift...

I agree I just want red momma's cause I have three choices Black Red or Yellow.

Caustic Burno":24ve13t2 said:
ALACOWMAN":24ve13t2 said:
a commercial man does well to keep crossbred momas... that way you can changed breeds of bulls if the market trends shift...

I agree I just want red momma's cause I have three choices Black Red or Yellow.
just for future reference,, my personal preference is red ...just cause im raising black don't mean im a hog about em.. but im not rich, and a slave to the market, having your ass handed to you will do that to a feller..

I run red sell black.

004.jpg

I am also in agreement that black is not the color I would have in a perfect would, but because of Certified Angus Beef and the premiums associated with black cattle showing little ear at the packer everyone wants black in my area. The sale barn is not my primary market. I am aimed at producing replacement females, both for the public and (hopefully) for my future expansion.

I wanted to run an Angus bull over my cows to do a few things. First, there are producers in my area that want an Angus sired female. They like the idea that their cows can have a black calf when bred to a hereford bull or something not black, so they want calves out of black cows and a black bull.

I am also wanting to put some uniformity in my herd. Hopefully, in a few months I will be employed and be able to help my dad expand our farm. In that case I would like a nice set of uniform black heifers that I can put a Hereford bull over and create black baldies. I would rather use a Braford over those Angus sired heiferes, but as ALACOWMAN said, they are hard to come by in North Alabama, especially with any quality.

Additionally, this coming breeding season I will have 9 of my 20 cows that are sired by an Angus bulls over non-Angus crossbred cows. 5 more will be Hereford sired over Brangus cows, 3 will be Gelbvieh over black crossbred cows, and the other 3 are out of non-Angus bulls over crossbred cows. So, other that one straight bred Angus heifer I purchased, the highest percentage Angus cow I will have will be 5/8 Angus. Even on those higher percentage Angus cows, I am still getting all the benefit of a crossbred cow and losing a small amount of added growth on the calf side. I would love to keep 100% heterosis and really mash down the scales on my steers, but I am willing to lose a little to meet my heifer customers' expectation.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I am really enjoying getting different views of my situation.

WarEagle73":1eictyu9 said:
I am also in agreement that black is not the color I would have in a perfect would, but because of Certified Angus Beef and the premiums associated with black cattle showing little ear at the packer everyone wants black in my area. The sale barn is not my primary market. I am aimed at producing replacement females, both for the public and (hopefully) for my future expansion.

I wanted to run an Angus bull over my cows to do a few things. First, there are producers in my area that want an Angus sired female. They like the idea that their cows can have a black calf when bred to a hereford bull or something not black, so they want calves out of black cows and a black bull.

I am also wanting to put some uniformity in my herd. Hopefully, in a few months I will be employed and be able to help my dad expand our farm. In that case I would like a nice set of uniform black heifers that I can put a Hereford bull over and create black baldies. I would rather use a Braford over those Angus sired heiferes, but as ALACOWMAN said, they are hard to come by in North Alabama, especially with any quality.

Additionally, this coming breeding season I will have 9 of my 20 cows that are sired by an Angus bulls over non-Angus crossbred cows. 5 more will be Hereford sired over Brangus cows, 3 will be Gelbvieh over black crossbred cows, and the other 3 are out of non-Angus bulls over crossbred cows. So, other that one straight bred Angus heifer I purchased, the highest percentage Angus cow I will have will be 5/8 Angus. Even on those higher percentage Angus cows, I am still getting all the benefit of a crossbred cow and losing a small amount of added growth on the calf side. I would love to keep 100% heterosis and really mash down the scales on my steers, but I am willing to lose a little to meet my heifer customers' expectation.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I am really enjoying getting different views of my situation.

Not a bad plan at all. Work the plan!

You seem to be a smart guy so I'm sure you'll do alright either way.

But I'd sell those cows and focus on purchasing a uniform (type, not color) set of cows. Once you have that, then you can really make some advancements as a herd. I like your bull - real maternal type.

Massey135":1geop54y said:

But I'd sell those cows and focus on purchasing a uniform (type, not color) set of cows. Once you have that, then you can really make some advancements as a herd. I like your bull - real maternal type.
Id focus on using the best bull your money can buy,, and keep improving from there..no doubt you'll AI in the future anyway

Massey135":xwy39chw said:

Ill take that as a compliment and I hope I don't come off as a smart a$$ lol. I just wanted to state my plan, and you all have good points that might work very very well if I were using a different market to sell. And you are correct ALACOWMAN, I am actually planning on A.I.ing everything once this next breeding season, partly so I can get some practice and learn, and maybe to breed my higher percentage Angus cows to a Hereford or possibly Braford bull and the remaining half to an Angus bull. I'm a bit undecided on that point, though, because I will lose my uniform calf crop, but I should get more out of each cow that way. Fortunately I have until Feb. to decide.

Again, thanks for all the comments guys(and maybe gals?).

Latest posts