Opinions on Duramax vs Powerstroke

Help Support CattleToday:

Check out this link, some good info in there if you read through it all.
http://www.highlifter.com/forum/m_2244194/mpage_1/tm.htm

Some one mentioned in there that the new motor in the 08 FORD is only going to last 2 yrs of production. FORG is supposetly coming out with an in-house diesel in 2010.

So.. before they get the bug worked out, if they even try, they will release another new motor. Do you want a motor that is intended to only get them by for 2 yrs? :shock:

FORD keeps releasing new motors every couple years that is a direct sign to all of us who use logic to make decisions and not emotion. :lol:

Quote: Chevy is not what it once was. Put a round bale in back of it, rolled it out by hand and it bowed the tail gate. The old chevy tailgates were tough hombres. /Unquote

I agree about chevys not being what the used to be. Trucks have changed a lot in the past 30 yrs. I always had chevy trucks, the last was a '05 2500 HD Duramax / Allison. You couldn't make a round around the place without putting another dent - ding it it somewhere, but I think that is the same with all these new trucks. Made for the city guys to haul their golf club bags out to the golf course with. I got rid of the chevy if favor of a 2007 Dodge Cummins / 6 sp. Manual. Would have never considered a Dodge in years past. They have come a long way in the chase for quality. But this thread is asking about Fords vs Chevys. The Duramax I had was ok, but I only got 65,000 mi. on it before I traded. I hated changing the fuel filter, ended up cutting a BIG piece of the fender well splash guard plastic out just to access the filter. It was a rough riding sob compared to my previous chevys, and this dodge rides like a Caddi compared to the chevy. It was a 4 door short bed 4x4. When I was loaded and pulling, the engine temp would creep up enough to make the fan clutch engage. It would roar like a jet engine with that fan engaged. Seemed to heat up too fast for me pulling a load up hill etc. It was stock, no chips or other mods. Just my experience, and as I said I WAS a die hard chevy customer till now............ :(

i dont advise anyone to buy GM. I have a 2006 escalade and a 2006 silverado. I have went through 2 transmissions on both. before that i had a 2002 tahoe had to have 3 transmissions replacements. oh also my silverado transmission is going out again i can tell,so i will be trading in soon

tmaygspeara":17hspgr6 said:
i dont advise anyone to buy GM. I have a 2006 escalade and a 2006 silverado. I have went through 2 transmissions on both. before that i had a 2002 tahoe had to have 3 transmissions replacements. oh also my silverado transmission is going out again i can tell,so i will be trading in soon

Yep, I became dissapointed with chevys because of the failing transmissions. The last auto trans was in a 1991 silverado suburban. Couldn't keep a trans in it. Went to 5 sp. manuals in the chevy trucks after that. The allison automatic was the first auto trans I had since the 1991. It did good, but it only had 65k on it when I traded. Daughter has a Chevy Cobalt. It has been a good car. 5 sp. man. I considered a Ford Truck, but had a vision of hauling a load of hay down the expressway on fire from the Ford Flaming Exhaust gave me nightmares. :shock: No Thanks!

BusterBrown":33axrrjo said:
When I was loaded and pulling, the engine temp would creep up enough to make the fan clutch engage. It would roar like a jet engine with that fan engaged. (

My Ford does that too. It was over loaded yesterday with a 125 HP Massey and some other things on the G/N. I remembered to hit "tow/haul" about five miles into it. The fan engaged immediately. Lots of noise. It kicked out when it got up to about 40 MPH.

backhoeboogie":3q9bscky said:
Brute 23":3q9bscky said:
why don't you get a trailer and quit putting bales in the back of the truck? ;-)

Old habits are hard to break. There are more trailers I am paying to license that I care to admit to. Some do have farm tags but others are dual pupose. Lots of nickels spent on tags. Worse yet, I have a tumble bug and also have a grass hopper for moving round bales. Just didn't expect the tail gate to be so delicate. First time for everything.

If someone hit me today and totaled out my Ford, I have to buy another truck. Guess it would be 12 mpg in my near future. Brute, they ticked me off.

Tags are not required on farm trailers in Texas. Save your $5.00 per trailer

farmerjohn":qwsivtyr said:

I didn't know that.....But if I don't have tags then it would be my luck I haul something a little ways up the road that is not "farm" related and get caught. :roll: I'll spend the $5, cuz it's less expensive than a ticket.

Just_a_girl":3foporq7 said:
farmerjohn":3foporq7 said:

I didn't know that.....But if I don't have tags then it would be my luck I haul something a little ways up the road that is not "farm" related and get caught. :roll: I'll spend the $5, cuz it's less expensive than a ticket.

Eh... I've pulled a Donahue (implement trailer) from northern Indiana back to Houston with no tags, just installed lights and hit the road (got a great deal on it at the dealership near the brother in law's place; those things are HIGH around here!) I've also pulled my 16 foot flatbed to Indiana and Tennessee numerous times, hauled a pickup back once and some other stuff, no tag never had a problem. I've never tagged any farm trailers down here...

I DO keep good lights on them and make sure they're working every time before I hit the road... Safety first and I think that will go a lot further towards keeping John Law happy than anything... JMHO! OL JR :)

cowtrek":125odv97 said:
Just_a_girl":125odv97 said:
farmerjohn":125odv97 said:

Eh... I've pulled a Donahue (implement trailer) from northern Indiana back to Houston with no tags, just installed lights and hit the road (got a great deal on it at the dealership near the brother in law's place; those things are HIGH around here!) I've also pulled my 16 foot flatbed to Indiana and Tennessee numerous times, hauled a pickup back once and some other stuff, no tag never had a problem. I've never tagged any farm trailers down here...

I DO keep good lights on them and make sure they're working every time before I hit the road... Safety first and I think that will go a lot further towards keeping John Law happy than anything... JMHO! OL JR :)

As long as your "not for hire" your faily safe unless the state you reside requires tags, I think in Tennessee if its under 16 no tag, the good thing is that a trailer tag is a one time purchase as long as you own the trailer....

We use to sell trailers.

Here you don't need them for farm use. The problem is, if you get one gung-ho DPS the can stop you. Give you a ticket. Make you leave the trailer on the side of the road. Until you get to coart to fight it or get tags you are SOL.

It happened to two customers before we could get it all straightened out.

If ya don't need farm trailer liscense then why does the state of texas sell them?
And if ya don't need them the HP in montague county and the judge is not aware of that yet.

Cal

I have a 97 Powerstroke with 274K and it runs just great! I plan on going to 500K if it will make it. It should no problem if I just keep up the regular service and fix things when they need it. Last weekend I drove to Indiana and back to get a load of hay. It was about 880 miles round trip and I literally saw 3 Chevy diesels, about 35% Dodge diesel and 65% Ford diesels on the highway.

They are both good, but I personally like the Chevrolet truck with the duramax. That's just a personal opinion.

The other thought I have? The Powerstroke is just too loud.... Sounds like a bunch of monkeys with sledgehammers when the ride by. :D

Latest posts