Opinions on calves

Help Support CattleToday:

sske

Reaction score
I had a chance to snap these pictures earlier today the red bull was born 1-27-17, the black bull and heifer were both born on 2-14-17. I'd like to hear your honest opinions of these 3, good and bad.
Thank you

IF they were in a sale ring, I would be a serious feeder bidder on the 2 males.
IF the red one was in the sale ring as a breeding bull, I would pay feeder price.

I don't like breeding bulls that cross their front feet for good luck, :) (pic 1) too narrow for my purposes.

The heifer looks decent, good front end extension, adequate body depth for her age, yes I'd be bidding for her as a replacement heifer, I could always sell her later on as a bred heifer if I didn't like her in person or inadequate pelvic score.

I like the heifer better than the bull.. She is a bit light looking, but if you know her lines and like them, that's important too.. I've had some "modest" looking cows that performed very well. The bull doesn't have the meat and thickness I look for, in his case especially the waist and butt

I would be keeping the heifer and using her for breeding stock. At least look at her first calf and does she breed and breed back on time.
I would not keep the bulls.

Thank you for the input, I'm hauling these calves to the sale next week for a neighbor when I take my calves down. I'm planning on buying the heifer as a possible replacement, and have been debating buying the red bull if the price is right, and see how he matures. I wanted to get some more input on him and see what you guys thought of him. And while I've got this thread going, can I get some feedback on this char-x heifer she was born 1-30-17.

I got a couple more pictures of the bulls this afternoon, id like as much feed back as possible since I see good and bad in both of them but would like to learn more from other people's perspectives of them.
Thank you all for taking the time to read and post.

Black one is just too light built, and nothing about him suggests keeping him. Red one is harder to see in the shadows, but has more of a bull stance and is thicker standing.

Supa Dexta":e7x7ashm said:
Black one is just too light built, and nothing about him suggests keeping him. Red one is harder to see in the shadows, but has more of a bull stance and is thicker standing.

I agree. If he can get the red one bought reasonable and has the feed and time he could develop him and likely get his money back even if he doesn't make the cut later.

CharX heifer would be a good one to keep and breed. Always have options with her down the line. Keep, sell bred or as a pair. Red bull definitely better than the black, but I also like more of a rear end on my bulls. Seem to pass that extra meat onto calves. Good luck.

Latest posts