Opinions on a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm with you Aaron, I didnt have a problem getting rid of my diesel truck and went with a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine to haul my lighter loads. Spent too much money on injectors, pumps, etc to stay with a diesel. Still got my old 96 chevy 1 ton dually with a 6.5 ltr diesel for my heavy loads though.
Seems like no matter what make (Ford, Chevy, or Dodge) they all have some sort of problem with injectors, pumps or whatever, at one time or another.

Backhoe what class action lawsuit? I had two and sunk 9 grand into them in less than a year. As for 7.3 great motor. Non 4x4 forget about it and that price is insane to pay. I would only spend around 5 and thats if I didnt care about 2wd.

Ouachita":3bzr400e said:
FarmGirl10":3bzr400e said:
Ouachita":3bzr400e said:
1997 Ford F250, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5 speed manual tranny, single cab, 2 wheel drive. It's just a basic truck. It has A/C but no bells or whistles. One owner, 174,000 miles, looks super nice, all original, never been molested. No dents, very minor paint scratches, interior looks like new. In fact, the truck looks like it probably did when it was a year old.
I've never owned a Ford vehicle. I have opportunity to buy this truck. I think the price may be high at $8,600, but not sure considering the condition. Tires are new. Clutch assembly was replaced less than a year ago. I know the owner and he has taken very good care of it.
What are the pros and cons to this model truck? What questions should I ask when I go to look?
This will not be a daily driver. My purpose is a truck to tow trailer with tractor or livestock occationally, and to outfit it with toolboxes for all my fencing/farm needs.
Hmmmm, odd thing to say.

It may seem odd or out of context for your generation, but it was (and still is) a commonly used term to describe something that has not been altered from an original configuration. In this case, it has never had any type "computer power chip", nobody has jacked with the suspension, tire size, or hung any fuzzy dice from the mirror, or mounted a brass spittoon on the dash. Does this still seem an odd thing to say? :tiphat:

I figured what you meant, just never heard it said like that. But I have heard of someone being arrested for doing that (in the other context).

I have an F-350 4x4 with the same motor and cab. It has an automatic and I sure wish it had a 5 speed. It had 180,000 miles on it when I bought it 5 years ago for $9,500. It has about 247,000 on it now and is still going strong. I think yours may be a bit on the high side and with 2 wheel drive I wouldn't want it.

To much money and to many miles for the price. It will need glow plugs every few years if your not going to plug it in when it gets cold. I have owned a few 7.3's and all have had minor troubles. Best thing about that truck and transmission is your going to get 22+ miles per gallon of fuel if it has a 3.55 rear end.

I think all of the criticisms have been fair, had a 91, 96, and currently have a 2000 with 230,000 on it, the 2000 is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. The 91 non turbo ran 283,000 for me, but not trouble free, it had automatic lock outs(junk), a ZF5 5 speed(junk), dual mass flywheel(junk, but replaced it with solid), a lot of glow plug problems.

The 1 closest to what you're looking at would be the 96, loved the cab, but it was plagued by electrical problems, but to be fair not everybody had the same trouble, these have all been F350's with 4wd. I know not all parts of the country need 4wd, but here I would hate to be without it and that truck would be a harder sell with 2wd.

Personally I think it's probably too high. Just my humble opinion.

I you buy it get a spare cam position sensor and a wrench to change it and put them in the glove box. It's not a matter of if that CPS will go bad but a matter of when.

Larry

I have a F-350 with the 7.3 4X4 Auto. I have a hydra bed and feeder on it so it distributed the weight more evenly. I think you would have to bury it to get it stuck. It will go anywhere. I agree with the others, great motor, price too high, low miles for that truck, and I wouldn't have it without 4X4.

You just can't get this kind of honest, unbiased opinion on trucktrader.com :lol2: Thank you all. I guess I should have said the price was the asking price on craigslist. I know the seller well, but haven't spoken to them about my interest in the truck.
I have owned 4wd diesil rigs before, and the front end(s) are heavy. I remember a few situations in civilization on paved city streets, during a rain, on a slight incline, that my duramax truck would not pull a greasy string out of cats azz. How embarassing it was to have to put my massive manly truck in 4wd, just to get through the stop light.
I have gleened enough information from this post to make my decision. Thanks to all.
And I hope I did not offend you Farmgirl

It's to high and not 4wd is a killer for me. Those motors were great but around here the air filter could not supply clean air and everyone that was on a farm was destroyed by dust, didn't get anywhere the miles the hwy ones got. We have a really really bad kind of dust here and it eats everything.

shadyhollownj":lom1k1u1 said:
Backhoe what class action lawsuit? I had two and sunk 9 grand into them in less than a year. As for 7.3 great motor. Non 4x4 forget about it and that price is insane to pay. I would only spend around 5 and thats if I didnt care about 2wd.

My reply to this post disappeared. Google "Ford Defective 6.0L Engine Class Action" and you'll get several hits about the lawsuit.

If you are only out 9 grand, you got off cheap. I'm in over 13 grand and it all started 8 thousand miles out of warranty.

Kathie in Thorp":1qi96xmw said:
If you can afford/find an 06 Dodge w/ Cummins and 5-speed, not too high mileage -- buy it.

Front end on mine was gone at 56K. Dodge makes a really good city truck. It won't cut it for dragging heavy loads across a pasture.

backhoeboogie":hmhbdfao said:
Kathie in Thorp":hmhbdfao said:
If you can afford/find an 06 Dodge w/ Cummins and 5-speed, not too high mileage -- buy it.

Front end on mine was gone at 56K. Dodge makes a really good city truck. It won't cut it for dragging heavy loads across a pasture.

It is Ford in my part of the world followed by Dodge our road's are dirt with bomb crater's along with washboard.

I sure don't want to start a war, but I have now got 120000 miles my 07 dodge 4x4 diesel daully and I would say close to half has pulling and a good third has been on the as rough of a worshboarded dirt road you can find, and I have never had any front end problems, I had a few turbo problems when it was still under warranty but I have used it pretty good for 6 years and it has really not been to bad.

denvermartinfarms":3asp7s0p said:
I sure don't want to start a war, but I have now got 120000 miles my 07 dodge 4x4 diesel daully and I would say close to half has pulling and a good third has been on the as rough of a worshboarded dirt road you can find, and I have never had any front end problems, I had a few turbo problems when it was still under warranty but I have used it pretty good for 6 years and it has really not been to bad.

No war. I am just glad you had better luck than I did.

I have a Ford F-350 2-wd. Never would I get another 2-wd. I live in constant fear of getting off a gravel or paved surface. Unless you have a six-hundred pound wife and 2000 pound cow to get in the back everytime you get stuck, stay away from the 2-wd.