opinions of pb char heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Angusgirl

Reaction score
Just curious what you all think of this reg charolais heifer. Both pics were a week after a very long haul. Feeding her back up still. (she's standing a little funny in the last pic, lol)

Well she's straight legged and the way she is standing with one rear foot almost on top of the other in the first picture is more of a concern than how she is standing in the last pic. I'm sure her rear end has to be wider than the narrow based stance makes her appear in the 1st pic. Doesn't appear she needs much feedin' up to me. Pics are funny, same heifer can look like totally different animal just from changing camera positioning. That's how professional cattle photographers earn their keep. I've seen 'em laying on their belly and darn near standing on their head in an effort to
get the best angles. I'd fire the camera man of the first pic.

Rear view. Lol should have gone out and taken better pics i know, just posted what i currently had on my phone

From the photos, it is hard to tell if she is post-legged or not. I really like her depth femininity, muscling, and her depth. How old is she?

Well I have never done any showing, or had any interest in that so if that's what you have her for I couldn't help you. I would think she would make a ok mama cow if you are careful not to "feed her up" much more. You probably know too fat is a bad deal as far as reproduction goes.

I think I found the right one when I looked her up. Her pedigree is interesting with the Canadian influence. A lot of the Canadian breeding I don't know about,but even some of it traces back to some US bulls. The bottom side though has some solid LT breeding that is heavy with the Wyoming Wind 4020 bull, and even the Fasttrack bull is a LT 9108 son. My first guess was 4020 when I saw her. Those bulls should offer enough maternally to give her a good shot at being a decent mama cow.

From what I see and know about her pedigree I would say she will be a big girl which is something I am guilty of liking but am trying to get away from in my own herd. I am concerned about her wheels based off the pictures(couldnt get the video to work) but it may not matter depending on your plans for her. Id be curious how you were going to breed her this spring.

Thats my opinion since you asked. Best of luck with her.

Cotton1

Angusgirl":xe2686ev said:
Just curious what you all think of this reg charolais heifer. Both pics were a week after a very long haul. Feeding her back up still. (she's standing a little funny in the last pic, lol)

The picture don't do her as much justice as the video. She's a nice heifer. A little post legged in the back, but her movement is pretty fluid in her hocks. Makes me think, if she was standing relaxed that it might not be as bad I'm thinking. From a show heifer stand point, it might haunt her. The rest of her is put together pretty good. She doesnt have tons of depth, but ample depth.

She looks part potbelly to me Not sure if she's pregnant, she could always just be fat. Any estimate to how much she weighs?

Latest posts