Opinions of cow (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
What do you all think of this cow? Don't hold back, I don't own her.
DSCF0739.JPG

DSCF0738.JPG

framey... you see how she's carrying decent flesh but not where id like to see her as far as being dry. when she does calve she's gonna fall apart like a china watch. they can't seem to catch up

birdog":3vkqo0rr said:
ALACOWMAN":3vkqo0rr said:
look's ok but gonna be a hard keeper

Please explain. I'm trying to develop an eye for good cattle of different breeds and would like some more detail.

Thanks.

I'm not alacowman, but here is my opininion.

She looks good, but she may well be a very heavy milker and combined with the fact that she could have had a slightly deeper chest and more heartgirth, it could very well mean that she will be harder keeping than a more moderate milker with more capacity.

I know the next question will be where I see that, so here goes...

She has a very strong front attachment of her udder and the attachment is also far forward (towards the navel), that combine with the fact that she is very long fronted (a feminine trait) gives the impression of very strong maternal traits.

If your environment can support her perceived potential production, she will do well for you, if not she may well be too hard keeping ( because she is out of synch with her environment) and that will show up in her reproduction.

All this is just and educated guess, so she might well prove all of us wrong.

KNERSIE":auypfs93 said:
birdog":auypfs93 said:
ALACOWMAN":auypfs93 said:
look's ok but gonna be a hard keeper

Please explain. I'm trying to develop an eye for good cattle of different breeds and would like some more detail.

Thanks.

I'm not alacowman, but here is my opininion.

She looks good, but she may well be a very heavy milker and combined with the fact that she could have had a slightly deeper chest and more heartgirth, it could very well mean that she will be harder keeping than a more moderate milker with more capacity.

I know the next question will be where I see that, so here goes...

She has a very strong front attachment of her udder and the attachment is also far forward (towards the navel), that combine with the fact that she is very long fronted (a feminine trait) gives the impression of very strong maternal traits.

If your environment can support her perceived potential production, she will do well for you, if not she may well be too hard keeping ( because she is out of synch with her environment) and that will show up in her reproduction.

All this is just and educated guess,
  • so she might well prove all of us wrong.
she could. sometimes it takes a few calving season for one's like these. before they catch up ive had it happen.. you can put into better word's knersie what i ramble with ;-)

my opinion only - not enough body volume; not "beefy"
enough; not enough hindquarter and too long-legged....but apparently has a tidy udder and a nice long tail.

I'll take her , she has done pretty good eating the rocks you have her pastured in , but I am concerned about the cables coming out her rear... :D

First consideration: For what will this young cow be used? Terminal calf production? ET recipient? Dual Purpose Farm/Milk production?

An analysis of her phenotype, (for whatever use to which she will be utilized) reveals that she has fine bone development, good pasterns, but small feet for a BEEF producer, too short from her hooks to pins bones, sloping rump, lacks hindquarter muscle (FUNNEL BUTT), pinched (squeezed) heart girth (around her body just behind her front legs) and shallow depth of body, lacks capacity to carry a healthy calf, long fronted, as Knersie has said (if you divide the animal into thirds, the desirable balance would be to have the section from her hooks to her pins be the same as the section from her hooks to her withers and her withers be about the same or a little shorter.) She is generally 'finer-featured' than I would like to see for a real Beef Producer. Knersie is right about her udder and attachments.

In my opinion, she is NOT a good candidate for a BEEF producing cow. Same criticism for ET Recipient. For a small farmer/producer who wants a cow to provide milk for the family and a calf to sell at weaning - okay. For a model for beef production - NO.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts