Opinions needed: What is the best way to get started?

Help Support CattleToday:

ark44

Reaction score
I am new to the board, although I have been reading it for some time. I have done much research and am hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. I am looking to get into the cattle world, but not wanting to undertake too much at first. I want to start out small, and hopefully work up. I live in Arkansas, on the old family dairy farm (although it has been some years since it has been a dairy). My dad actually owns most of the land, but it is currently empty. He gets the hay cut off of it but that is it, he actually has trouble getting anyone willing to cut the hay. I have access to 3 big barns, 3 ponds, and all the land is fenced.

I am wanting opinions on what breed of cattle to get. A few years back my dad had 60 black angus on the land. I really like them. But what is the best option for cost? I don't have the money to just go out and buy the most expensive. As of now there is no debt, and I would much rather start out slowly and remain debt free. I am ok with buying cheaper cattle if that is a good option.

Also, would I be better off going the cow/calf route or get some just weaned in the spring and let them grow til October then sell off and do it again the following year? I know that making money off the cattle can be very tricky and take some time, but I would like any advice as to do it as best I can.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer!

I have the money to purchase a few head, just looking for some help as to which direction to go

I started over a year ago in the cattle business. Started with buying three commercial bred Angus heifers. Now I am at 15 total (cows, bull, and calves). I have spent more than I had planned and the payback will be longer than expected now since the market has dropped. However. with the low cattle prices, I may buy a few more to lower my cost per head. So, now may be a good time price wise for you to buy cattle.

It's hard to answer your questions. I would talk with other farmers in your area and ask them what they think. One thing to keep in mind is that unless you have good help in the family then you may be in for a lot of work by yourself. Don't let friends talk you into getting into this business with them saying that they will help you when you need something. This doesn't always happen. You'll always have fence work or cattle issues that may require additional manpower and unless you've got good family to help, then you could be doing a lot of work yourself.

Also, this board had a lot of info from experienced farmers. Ask and you'll get some very sound and good advice.

Good luck!

Custom graze some stockers (you're out no real money) and turn the money you make into some older bred cows (don't buy heifers when you're starting as they're more expensive and may have difficulty calving) ... older late bred cows know the drill.

WalnutCrest":1gvqwze3 said:
Custom graze some stockers (you're out no real money) and turn the money you make into some older bred cows (don't buy heifers when you're starting as they're more expensive and may have difficulty calving) ... older late bred cows know the drill.
This is good advice, I actually did this my first year.

You're a step ahead of the game with your debt free infrastructure already in place. Decide whether you want cow/calf or stockers (I know less than nothing about the stocker business) and buy good quality, take good care of them, and you should be fine. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we may see a little more price decline before this is over. But I hope we are nearing the bottom. It may not be the best time to buy but I think it's close enough! Right or wrong, I don't expect a huge increase in prices. As far as breed, what does your anticipated market want?

Go buy a few Old bred or pairs. When you wean the calf sell the old cow for slaughter then raise the calves to whatever weight you want to sell at. This way no bull they are a pain if you don't have enough cows. You keep repeating this till you figure out what sells good in your area it will get your feet wet and allow you to save up for some good young mommas.

Latest posts