Opinions about the california bander

Help Support CattleToday:

ny_grass

Reaction score
I'm considering buying this bander: http://www.inosol.com.

It's about $50 (including 25 bands). Looks very easy and the people I've heard from say it works great even on large sacks.

Anybody have problems with it?

Never heard of it but I've seen similar products that use similar type bands and the bands seem a little pricey to me. I use a Case Decaptivator, total cost about $25 and it has steered many head without any problems whatsoever. It also has many other uses.

I have one that I use on larger calves that I don't get banded when they are smaller. Just used it yesterday on a 400 lb calf. It does take some practice but now that I've had it awhile, I mostly use it instead of the $100 XL bander that I also have. My "tag bag" now has just the $15 cherio bander and the california bander in it. I'm pretty good with the cherio bander and use it on 90% of my calves (even the big ones), but the California bander is there when I need it.

Also, the California bander requires you to "get closer" to do the work and given it's on bigger calves, I usually tie a leg back to be safe.

Jogeephus":3p560tne said:
Never heard of it but I've seen similar products that use similar type bands and the bands seem a little pricey to me. I use a Case Decaptivator, total cost about $25 and it has steered many head without any problems whatsoever. It also has many other uses.
Do you have a link for that product? Googling it returns nothing.

ny_grass":37feaqzg said:
Jogeephus":37feaqzg said:
Do you have a link for that product? Googling it returns nothing.

Case Decaptivator is my fancy name for my knife. ;-) I grab the cap of the sac and cut about two inches off the cap for drainage. Grab a testicle and pull. Repeat. Did 32 this morning in 2 1/2 hours and only cut my finger once. :banana:

never used one,...looks like it would be handy for the bigger guys, but we band at 2 to 3 months so we really wouldn't need it. We just use the small bands.

I use the california bander alot.
Here's why 1) they keep right on gaining like nothing happened
2)You can buy 550-650 weight bulls at a profit
7/07/09 sell 624#steer @1.04=$648.96
buy 624#bull @.85 = $530.40 com trans
$118.56-$12.00 -$12.00=$94.00 profit
this was taken from a regional stockyards market report same class cattle.
You can find this kind of profit in the market every day so no whinning.
I always give a covexin 8 shot $.60
Also the bands only cost $.95
So you end up with $94.00-$1.55=$92.00 profit and you still have 624# plus to sell later

It works great on really big bull calves.

The regular bands at one day old are the way to go. If you miss them, catch them in a chute and band them. The California bander is the last resort for me and it usually involves something that is not mine.

i have one and i love it. super easy to use once you get the hang of it. mine came with a video to show you what to do. i use it only on the larger calves, say 450 and up. you can cut em, but the band does not set em back any. cutting even small calves when it is as hot as it is right now in the south is really hard on em.

i did something last week that i suppose i have not ever done at this time of the year. i cut about 6 calves in the 2-300 weight range, and banded one that was 500. 2 of those cut had a hard time and one of them was the smallest, at about 200. the one i banded never missed a beat. i will not cut any more this time of the year again.

those i band are put in the chute and i come in from the side and reach in behind them and band them. i usually have someone hold their tail, but didnt this last time on that one. i never get in the chute behind them to cut or band.

good luck

jt

twabscs":vwa42wtb said:
Also, the California bander requires you to "get closer" to do the work and given it's on bigger calves, I usually tie a leg back to be safe.
I had an amish friend tell me that they get one guy to hold the tail up; that keeps 'em from kicking. I think I like your method better though. I've got a strap ready to go. When you say "tie a leg back" where do you tie it to? I'd thought I would just tie it to the rail.

Red Bull Breeder":ssmsseb4 said:
Forget the strap don't worry about them kicking. Most don't do much once you get a hold on there sack.

Red Bull that is the way I have been doing it. Grab, hold on they only jump once or so. If I have help will have the tail pull up this will keep them from kicking.

If you don't pull the band to about 1/3 its size it will take longer to to the job. This is the only problem is not getting them tight enough and it is my fault if this happens.
Would rather use a knife if the weather is cool and the flies are not so plentiful.

The Amish guy I referred to above also says that he gets in the shoot right behind them when he castrates? This doesn't seem very smart to me; I'd planned to do it from the side. Of course, as I learned last weekend when we loaded up a bull for sale, you can put 2x8 wedged behind them to keep them from backing up; one positioned properly would probably make it impossible for the bull to kick (very far at least).

hillrancher":1r9byey2 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1r9byey2 said:
Forget the strap don't worry about them kicking. Most don't do much once you get a hold on there sack.
If you don't pull the band to about 1/3 its size it will take longer to to the job. This is the only problem is not getting them tight enough and it is my fault if this happens.
Hillrancher, I don't understand what you mean here. I'm going to watch the included video for the bander now though; perhaps that'll clear it up.

ny_grass":3kfinni4 said:
hillrancher":3kfinni4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3kfinni4 said:
Hillrancher, I don't understand what you mean here. I'm going to watch the included video for the bander now though; perhaps that'll clear it up.

Just putting the band on is not good enough. It has to be tight enough to cut off the circulation. Hillrancher is cautioning you to get that band tight enough. If there is any circulation, you run the chance of infection and the infection getting into the calves bloodstream etc.

If you are going to do any job with cattle, do it right.

jbar":3p0o1wjs said:
I use the california bander alot.
Here's why 1) they keep right on gaining like nothing happened
2)You can buy 550-650 weight bulls at a profit
7/07/09 sell 624#steer @1.04=$648.96
buy 624#bull @.85 = $530.40 com trans
$118.56-$12.00 -$12.00=$94.00 profit
this was taken from a regional stockyards market report same class cattle.
You can find this kind of profit in the market every day so no whinning.
I always give a covexin 8 shot $.60
Also the bands only cost $.95
So you end up with $94.00-$1.55=$92.00 profit and you still have 624# plus to sell later
Interesting. Did a google search on this product. When i ran to the feed store to buy bands, i saw this device and thought i'd look into more and my first search brought me here. Now, i want everyone to read this thread on banding. It was logical, informative and this one guy spelled it out way better than i ever could. Wonder if he's still around.

Jogeephus":2du3n7ai said:

What he said. I don't like banding big cattle. In the past I worked at 2 feedlots that made steers out of several thousand head of weaners and yearlings every year. Both tried several types of banders. Both went back to cutting them.

The best bander Ive used or seen is the XL Bander, next best thing to cutting.

I've used a California Bander for the the past 3 years, and have real good luck with it. Works like a charm for medium to large bull calves, but the smaller XL bander does a better job on little calves. I agree with what some have already said about being a little easier to work from the side, (but still reaching through from the back). I'm right handed, and find it's easier for me to work from the right side. Reach in between the legs, get the bag in the left hand and use the right to tighten the tube real good and tight. We have a calf table, but find it easier to not flip them before putting the band on. One thing that I didn't see mentioned before - our vet says to give a 1cc IM shot of Tetanus Toxoid along with the banding. This is kind of pricey, but he is the vet, I guess. We used to wait until the bull calves were around 500 lb. to band, wanting the extra growth, but found that those steers still looked "bullish" at 650-700 lb., and the buyers around here discounted them about the same as if we'd never worked them.

Latest posts