opinion wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
i have been wanting to add some cows but having been holding off due to price and being low on grass and hay. it looks like i have found some hay for an ok price i also found some cows i could buy. now im trying to decide which way to go there is some bred black heifers due in oct/nov for 1375 or some black 3 to 5 year old pairs that are bred back due in march / april for 1600 - 1700 what do you guys think ?

I'ld go with the pairs if they're ov equal quality or better then the heifers. Earlier ROI with them

The pairs are the better option but those prices sound way too high for my liking

I'd go with the pairs too. You can start making your money back with the calves sooner than with the heifers.Also if I read it right they are 3 in 1's so the other calf crop is getting started. Do you know what they are bred too?

they are bred to black angus bulls yes they are 3 in 1s as for cost thats right on with what pairs are bringing at the sale barn. last week they were bringing 1300 to 1775. i know this guy and he has good cattle i have brought from him before and never had problems so im willing to pay on the higher end.

this part of colorado is not really cold in oct/nov in fact were warmer then we are in feb march when most calve

andrews29":3n1prd2u said:
this part of colorado is not really cold in oct/nov in fact were warmer then we are in feb march when most calve

It's not your temp during calving that is the problem it is the temp when your calves need their highest nutrional inputs that will kill you. If you are interested there is an add in the Salida paper for 20 Angus/Gelbvieh cows and a Sim bull for sale. They are spring calvers.
I calved out 2 heifers last fall and am cured for life. I will NEVER do that again.

thanks for all they replys i picked up a few pairs today. cows range from 2-6 year olds with 300 to 400 pound calves. they should be bred back they were with 2 black angus bulls starting may 10th.

Latest posts