Opinion on tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
http://www.auctiontime.com/listings...ons/online/20352431/1999-massey-ferguson-4255

Haven't seen in person. Local guy owns it. Not going to buy on auction time, but will make an offer on it if it doesn't sell. He has been trying to sell it for about a year. Not exactly MF country around here and he hasn't advertised locally, just online. Wanted about $26k US last year and now he is down to 17k. I would be a buyer at 16k US. I read that some of the sloped hood 4200 series have problems with overheating as their only issue. Wet clutch in those units as well.

BobbyLummus1":2yqevl8s said:
open station would bring 17k+ here . if air and glass are good that tractor would bring 20+ easy . more like 25
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe more, people have been paying outrageous prices lately. Neighbor watched a similar Deere sell for about $35k a few weeks ago. A 2550 like mine, minus the loader, went for about $28k. Twice what I paid for mine a few years ago.

tdc_cattle":16eeri14 said:
Why not buy it on AuctionTime?

Wasn't planning to bid on it, was hoping it wouldn't sell and I could take cashier check to his doorstep next day for 16k US and get a bite. Alas, other bidders think it is worth it, so I am going to go take a look at it tomorrow morning before the auction is over.

Bought it. 20,600 US. Sure didn't want to go any higher. Has a couple leaks, one at loader couplers and one underneath near back tire (think pin hole in steel hydraulic line spraying while lifting 3pt arms) and a rear tire that went through WW2 - should replace it before it blows. Otherwise glass, electronics, tranny and motor are good. Had buyers interested from IL, CA and PE with two other serious buyers, one local and another from Manitoba. Guy from Manitoba has 5 of this model already and said he was buying this one, end of story.

That's about what I just paid for a NH 90 hp cab with FEL, with bucket and pallet forks. Mine may be a few years newer.

Looks to me like you wasted $3,600. hindsight is 20/20. I towed a big right of way mower to the auction that I really wanted for my neighbor and it fetched $7,500 more than what he was willing to sell it to me for. I thought I was going to get it cheap and it went right over my head.

True Grit Farms":2ywdkt1c said:
Looks to me like you wasted $3,600. hindsight is 20/20. I towed a big right of way mower to the auction that I really wanted for my neighbor and it fetched $7,500 more than what he was willing to sell it to me for. I thought I was going to get it cheap and it went right over my head.

Up until he listed it, he still wanted about 22k US in the yard, so 17k or less was only an option with no other interested parties. Talked to local JD dealer (for shyts and giggles) and he couldn't get anything new in the yard close to 100 hp until October. That is how long it takes to order in new equipment around here. I might not keep this unit forever. Good to know that others were keen for it, might have decent resale value in 5 years. Guess lots are scared of Tier 4 - I know I don't want any of it.

Rafter S":1ymtem4t said:
That's about what I just paid for a NH 90 hp cab with FEL, with bucket and pallet forks. Mine may be a few years newer.

Much better deals further south. Little scared what freight might be as not many carriers travel into the north tip of MN. I priced freight on a Belarus 400 last year from central Iowa through UShip and others - and the cheapest bid was $1200, lots over $1500.

Aaron":2izpa69n said:
True Grit Farms":2izpa69n said:

Up until he listed it, he still wanted about 22k US in the yard, so 17k or less was only an option with no other interested parties. Talked to local JD dealer (for shyts and giggles) and he couldn't get anything new in the yard close to 100 hp until October. That is how long it takes to order in new equipment around here. I might not keep this unit forever. Good to know that others were keen for it, might have decent resale value in 5 years. Guess lots are scared of Tier 4 - I know I don't want any of it.

Gotcha, that's a good tractor and engine combo from what I read. I looked at MF tractors last year and now they put a 3 cylinder in that class of tractor, no thanks was my thinking.