Opinion on this feed mix?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score

Would this be a good mix to feed late gestation cows and Weaning calves? Would also be feeding to a bull to put some weight back on before breeding season. Would be hand feeding everyday or every couple days.

corn is expensive for what ya get and it doesn't keep very well..here in fl that's pretty standard mix cept we sub citrus pellets for corn...im sure they have them there now...

Work fine as a grower, rather than a winter supplement for cows. Cut the corn in half, decrease the the cotton hulls to two hundred, and cut the oats completely. Adjust the SBM level to get 22-24% pro. and the mol to 20-30#. Feed 4-6# per head, and all the hay they can eat.

southernultrablack":1hnt4tay said:

Would this be a good mix to feed late gestation cows and Weaning calves? Would also be feeding to a bull to put some weight back on before breeding season. Would be hand feeding everyday or every couple days.
Should work, just don't overfeed the late gestation cows. I'd leave the molasses out as it's just dead expense and has no real nutritional value.

TexasBred":1fwzcko4 said:
southernultrablack":1fwzcko4 said:

Should work, just don't overfeed the late gestation cows. I'd leave the molasses out as it's just dead expense and has no real nutritional value.
Thinking about #5/hd/day on the breds and 1% of body weight on the bull. Also I've considered swapping the cottonseed hulls for whole cottonseed. Any foreseeable problems with that?

dieselbeef":9hjo1cnw said:
the molasses keeps the appetite hearty..we add it to pellets to keep them eating
Gary if you ahve to flavor it up for them they are just spoiled. :hide: :lol:

southernultrablack":8s5ek3is said:
TexasBred":8s5ek3is said:
southernultrablack":8s5ek3is said:

Thinking about #5/hd/day on the breds and 1% of body weight on the bull. Also I've considered swapping the cottonseed hulls for whole cottonseed. Any foreseeable problems with that?

I wouldn't feed the WCS to the bulls. We've discussed on here in the past how it can cause temporary sterility in your bulls. If you decide to feed it anyway, I'd just mix seed and corn.

TexasBred":2zhaa5po said:
dieselbeef":2zhaa5po said:
the molasses keeps the appetite hearty..we add it to pellets to keep them eating

it don't make it taste better...here in fl they use molasses lick tubs..250 or 500 gallon to keep cows thru the winter...you must do the same right? I don't personally use it but ive been told it makes them eat anything..scrub/palmetto/weeds you name it...it gets added back to the pellets for moisture and protein but its purely from the citrus..

dieselbeef":31kavlw7 said:
corn is expensive for what ya get and it doesn't keep very well..here in fl that's pretty standard mix cept we sub citrus pellets for corn...im sure they have them there now...
I've never heard of or seen citrus pellets up this way. What kind of price do you see on them?

TexasBred":3sfwcic3 said:
southernultrablack":3sfwcic3 said:
TexasBred":3sfwcic3 said:

I wouldn't feed the WCS to the bulls. We've discussed on here in the past how it can cause temporary sterility in your bulls. If you decide to feed it anyway, I'd just mix seed and corn.
Thanks TB

southernultrablack":10nso0ge said:
dieselbeef":10nso0ge said:
I've never heard of or seen citrus pellets up this way. What kind of price do you see on them?

we truck em and export em everywhere..check your base on laot of feeds its in there...

price varies as its commodity..bout 200$ ton avg

dieselbeef":ids3fzwo said:
TexasBred":ids3fzwo said:
dieselbeef":ids3fzwo said:

it don't make it taste better...here in fl they use molasses lick tubs..250 or 500 gallon to keep cows thru the winter...you must do the same right? I don't personally use it but ive been told it makes them eat anything..scrub/palmetto/weeds you name it...it gets added back to the pellets for moisture and protein but its purely from the citrus..
True folks use the tubs and the liquid feed ( I don't) but adding it to your citrus just seems like dead expense to me. Betcha they would eat it if you give them a few days to adjust to the taste. I'm feeding some dry feed right now that looks like pure dry trash (floor sweepings some call it) but it's an awesome feed. Cows love it too.

we add it as its a by product of processing we need to get rid of...also adds moisture to make it stay in pellet for better

dieselbeef":5p5hxw17 said:
southernultrablack":5p5hxw17 said:
dieselbeef":5p5hxw17 said:

we truck em and export em everywhere..check your base on laot of feeds its in there...

price varies as its commodity..bout 200$ ton avg
That's high for around here, we can buy a complete calf feed with Bovatec and minerals for $220 a ton.

Latest posts