opinion on situation

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
How should this be handled? From both sides in your opinion. One goes to well respected bull production sale. Buys two bulls. Both obviously passed a bse with physical exam from vet. After taking possession and receiving passing bse exam. One bull has semen below 20% the other has scar in eye making him blind in it.

A reasonable seed stock man will make them good. If not he ain't a true cowman, just some joker with cows!

did one look at the bulls? or on vid screens? If one looked at the bulls and didn't see the eye then it may be on one! if on vid then on seller! the one at 20% would be on Vet in my opinion if im understanding all this.

I would think that the seller should stand behind them, and take them back or replace them. Definitely the one that did not pass the BSE. In my opinion the one with scarring on the eye should be as well, if it affects his sight in a noticeable way. That could make him dangerous to work with. If it was known by the seller it should have been mentioned from the auction block. I bought a bull through a registered consignment sale a few years ago, who had hardware disease, when contacted the seller alluded to having a heifer with it too, but refused to do anything about it. I will not buy from that farm again.

ouch. i'd be on the phone about that 20% asap. You're buying a breeding bull.. not a lawn ornament.

Cancel the check and verify those ribeye EPDs with a charcoal fire! lol Seriously, it sounds like you are due a couple of replacements if none of this was disclosed before the purchase. What were the terms of the sale?

I agree should of caught eye during sale. I also think it should of been called during sale. And it was marked as clear on bse form. I feel these bse are very sub par for a licensed vet to be put politely.

I bought a bull at a special sale a few years ago, and he failed a BSE several months after the sale. After contacting the seller, I hauled the bull to the auction barn and sent him a copy of the sale receipt. I received a full refund for the difference between what he brought at the auction barn and what I'd paid for him. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there when I need another bull.

littletom":2qugb124 said:
I agree should of caught eye during sale. I also think it should of been called during sale. And it was marked as clear on bse form. I feel these bse are very sub par for a licensed vet to be put politely.

In your defense, one should not have to worry about eye issues in a credible purebred bull sale, it should have been caught and pointed out. In a regular stockyards sale I have seen many times where imperfections like bad eyes and long toes are pointed out in feeder cattle. In our regional commercial bred heifer sales, each heifer is screened for blemishes like scarring in the eyes, and are rejected if they have them.
Last fall, I had a heifer that was a little high headed, but had never caused any commotion. I pointed her out at the time of screening, but it was decided that she shouldn't be a problem. The day after the sale, I was contacted by her buyer, she had snapped and went through a fence. I immediately agreed to take her back and refund their money. I really regret letting her in the sale, and the problems that she caused for the folks. I will stick to my first conclusions from now on, and hold out anything that I perceive as a potential issue.

midTN_Brangusman":1itvou8t said:
Neither one of those bulls should have been in the production sale to start with, he should have hauled them to town.

Exactly! And what vet in their right mind would sign off on a BSE at 20%???? If I have a young bull score low on a BSE for whatever reason, he is retested in a month. He is not offered for sale or lease until the issue is resolved. There are enough issues I can't control, I'm not going to add to headaches with ones I can!

Boot Jack Bulls":38siz1gl said:
midTN_Brangusman":38siz1gl said:
Neither one of those bulls should have been in the production sale to start with, he should have hauled them to town.

Exactly! And what vet in their right mind would sign off on a BSE at 20%???? If I have a young bull score low on a BSE for whatever reason, he is retested in a month. He is not offered for sale or lease until the issue is resolved. There are enough issues I can't control, I'm not going to add to headaches with ones I can!

Burns a few customers he wont be in the bull selling business long.

Latest posts