Opinion on bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the comments regarding being barn "barn blind". I purchased a number of cattle from the auction and thought I was getting pretty good at it until one recently came up open. I made a run up to the auction again and thankfully didn't see anything I thought would do. To make a long story short I had made contact with a local registered breeder a while back and decided to contact her again. Anyway I purchased a breed 4 year old from her that will calve in February for $1,200. I brought the cow home and put her in with my angels and then wondered around for about an hour scratching my head asking myself why I had purchased a bunch of sorry looking mutts from the auction *&^@ Maybe I've takin my first step towards being a breeder.......I hope.
CW

Howdy,

Nope, not a good bull. make him a steer. sell him.

Note: best photo tips.
front 3/4 picture, a from the rear picture. fill the frame with the animal. :)

Rainman - it's quite an eye opener when a good animal is placed along side some sorry ones. That is - if YOU LOOK!!! Some people NEVER "get it". Anyway, goodluck with your new breeding program.

East Caney; You ask and you shall recieve. I agree with others, get rid of the bull. Your cow herd is where you are at, your bull is where you are going. Go out and buy the best bull you can afford. If AI is possible for you, you can breed to some of the best bulls available for a fraction of the cost of owning a really great bull.
Good luck.

East Caney,

I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that you had better get rid of that bull. All the feed in the world isn't gonna cover poor genetics. The good news is that it wont take much to improve upon the genetics that bull has to offer. I have seen alot of no-sale bulls in this country that would be much better than him. Sorry about the brutal honesty, but I think that is what your looking for.

Here are some pics of a couple of the cows that I recently bought...some of you wanted to see. Also, there's an updated picture of the bull (and I know that doesn't change the fact that he needs a new home.)

100_2518.jpg

BlackandBrownCrossbredCow.jpg

100_2541.jpg

100_2524.jpg

East Caney":3aici2xu said:
Also, there's an updated picture of the bull (and I know that doesn't change the fact that he needs a new home.)
It sure don't. Go ahead and sell him before he does some damage, like breeding a cow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some pics of a couple of the cows that I recently bought...some of you wanted to see. Also, there's an updated picture of the bull (and I know that doesn't change the fact that he needs a new home.)
East Caney-I know we have been pretty abrasive with you, but it was and is justified, and my hope is that you LEARN from these lessons - learn how to analyze BEEF cattle - learn how to blend EPD's and Phenotype together for optimum results - and - LEARN how to NOT be influenced by anything other than your newly-gained knowledge and not what Billy Bob in the next County tries to push off on you! With all the GOOD advice the great ranchers on this board have told you, you should have a "picture in your mind" as to what your NEXT bull should Look like (Phenotype) and Breed like (Genotype [EPD's]). In a few generations (5) of using a purebred bull on replacement heifers that you keep, you will capitalize on your LEARNING. DO NOT let this bull you have now breed any of your cows, no matter WHAT he finally gets to look like! He should be sent to make Bull Burgers -not to breed ANYTHING else.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts