Opinion on breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Dohcvtec

Reaction score
Is there any downside to owning diffrent breeds in your herd? Right now have 2 back angus heifers and a charolais Heifer all purebred but really looking to purchase another heifer here soon and really like the hereford look but not sure if owning three diffrent breeds would be a problem

If you have 4 animals I see no problem with having those 3 breeds in your herd. Maybe from that you will choose which way you want to go in the future. You can use whicn one performs best as a quick trial and error for your environment. Then after you choose which works best with the bulls you want to use then worry about getting similar females.

Whether you have angus , charolais or Herefords. Cross them with a black angus bull and you will get close to premium in my area. Pink nosed calves get docked pretty hard here.

Thanks for you input. Yes we mainly do this as a hobby and really see our girls as pets and not really looking to make much money on them. That beign said any Bulls we do get from them would likely become our beef for the year . I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and get a hereford heifer here soon and see how she does around the farm. We will be ai them since we don't have the room to house a bull at the time so will like to keep everything in our herd purebred

The main advantage to uniformity in a cow herd is for uniformity in the calf crop, because it increases the chance of you selling them as a group, but of course that's only for larger operations than yours. I see no reason for you not to have multiple breeds in your situation.

midTN_Brangusman":3khk66im said:
Whether you have angus , charolais or Herefords. Cross them with a black angus bull and you will get close to premium in my area. Pink nosed calves get docked pretty hard here.

Ditto! Or a black Simmental!

I don't blame you for liking the Hereford look. They are enough to pretty up any herd. We love our Hereford cattle and still get a good price by selling privately due to their docility and feed conversion. :D

Thanks everyone have found a farmer willing to sell me one for his heifer calves all his herd are registered polled hereford so I'm pretty excited he was willing to sell me one just waiting on him to get back to me with a price

SIMMGAL":16njlydn said:
midTN_Brangusman":16njlydn said:

Or Black Limousin! I just had to do that. :lol:

frieghttrain":34ljpdhl said:
SIMMGAL":34ljpdhl said:
midTN_Brangusman":34ljpdhl said:

Or Black Limousin! I just had to do that. :lol:

Or cover all the bases with a Black Hereford! :D

If you are going to AI them then get what you like and have 6 different breeds if you want. You will be able to see what does best in your area, on your farm, and then go from there. Yes, if you sell calves then you will be looking at the "saleability" of them and what does best in your area. Where are you located? Maybe put it in your profile so if you have a question or problem, people from your area can better advise.
Unfortunately, "black" seems to be what sells in most areas, and if you have 4 females, you will hopefully have 4 calves, then next thing you know you will have "more" and then what ???? Good problem to have, but you will not be able to "eat the bull calves" if you get 3 every year and then what do you do with the heifers? So that is the reason for some to advise about the breeding black to have saleable calves. Like Walnut Crest said, you don't want to go broke in the process.
But since you like the looks of the hereford, get one and see. If you breed AI and they are all purebred stock, registered?, them you could sell a few calves down the road as registered or for 4-H or FFA or something. We like our few herefords in the mixed commercial herd we have and since they are discounted we always breed them to an angus to get BWF calves that will sell well.

Thank for everyones input. Our 3 current girls are all registered from the owners but I have not asked for the paperwork to transfer to my name or anything . I live in central iowa small town albert city iowa . I am more than likely getting that hereford heifer from that farmer and hopefully all goes good will post pictures of her when I get her home

I'm on on the black cattle bandwagon myself but it's hard to beat the looks of a Hereford heifer and they can be a cornerstone in a crossbreeding program. Here's a few that I picked up this weekend.

Latest posts