Operation Pork Chop

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
In a few weeks I'll be serving BBQ in the netherlands of Afganistan to a small team of guys who don't get much in the way of ammenities. I have wanted to do this for some time after tasting some of the PC/islamic friendly vegetarian MRE's some are forced to eat. Quite frankly, I have long thought it overdue for the arroma of pork ribs to waft over these mountains since I doubt this smell has been in the region since Alexander the Great. Due to this, work began on Operation Pork Chop. And no, I won't be going there in person. (think Geneva convention forbids this)

Anyhow, I have prepared the following meal.

Breakfast in a Cup - Homegrown homeground grits with colby and swiss cheese. Scrambled eggs mixed with cider cured ham and deer and pork sausage.

Jambalaya - With plenty of andouille and a heaping of smoked beef sticks for good measure.

Smoked Chicken Breasts

Smoked Pork Loin

Smoked pork Ribs - This is the grand finale and if the operation goes well I hope to get a photo of one of our guys enjoying a PORK RIB in buggerland.

Anyhow, here are a few photos.

Smoked Chicken Breast with honey mustard bbq sauce
IMG_5422.jpg

Pork Loin just taken out of pouch. Color is looks good and its as tender as it can be.
IMG_5429.jpg

Jambalaya
IMG_5379.jpg

Ribs after processing. Tender and the smoke ring is still there.
IMG_5427.jpg

What I'll be sending out this week. I do hope the post office gives a break cause its about 25 lbs of food. But if not, it will be well worth it knowing that someone christened the hills with some south georgia pork ribs. ;-)

IMG_5431.jpg

They are gonna love that! I can smell it from here! Great idea, I thank you and they will too. Gotta slide the keyboard back under the desk and quit droolin on it!

Jogeephus":3f553ghh said:
What I'll be sending out this week. I do hope the post office gives a break cause its about 25 lbs of food. But if not, it will be well worth it knowing that someone christened the hills with some south georgia pork ribs.

That's a great thing you're doing, so if you want some help on the postage - or any of the rest of it for that matter - I'm more than willing to contribute for that cause!

Good for you Jogee and if you decide to do it again let me know. I'll buy the hog. BTW is it true they tied a porkchop around Osama's neck before slipping him overboard? :lol2:

Thanks. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now but I didn't feel comfortable enough with the processing side to do it safely till now. The final nudge came when both my son and "adopted son" returned home last week. Both have been staying with me and after spending some time with Steven I felt that maybe he had spent a little too much time over there. See what I mean? I don't know where he got this tendency to become so malleable. :???:

180925_10150095990174869_500059868_5971558_2506583_n.jpg

Anyhow, I appreciate the offers and will keep it in mind and see how it goes. Steven helped me prepare these and he selected the team to send the meals to. This was one of my concerns as well since I didn't want to go to all this trouble and have it eaten at a supply hut in Kuwait. Not saying they are not deserving but I just wanted it to go where it would be appreciated the most if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting any donations but I do appreciate the offers. I could however use some tips, suggestions or recipes that anyone might have since this type food preparation is very different than what I'm accustomed to. I'm just now getting on the learning curve and have had several failures thus far. The primary problem is the food must be cooked basically twice and you want as little moisture in the pouch as possible for weight considerations. The grits and jambalaya are perfect for this type thing but what I'd like to do is come up with a recipe for beef stew or something along this line where I can put raw meat and vegetables and seasonings inside the bag and cook it in the canner. For example, I made some deer stew that tasted wonderful but after processing it was like mashed potatoes and deer meat. Using raw ingredients I think would open the possibility of sending them more beef based meals if this makes any sense.

TexasBred":30tcdo90 said:
BTW is it true they tied a porkchop around Osama's neck before slipping him overboard? :lol2:

Don't know but if they didn't they should have. I can also think of a few places they could have stuck some of these rib bones as well. :lol2:

Ya'll are not going to believe this! :mad: I just got back from the post office where I learned it is illegal to mail pork to our troops which would explain why the guys are eating imitation meat products and vegetarian type meals. I guess the state department wouldn't mind if I mailed some ogranic tomato and basil soup to the guys. :bang: :mad: I am so livid at the moment that I can't find the words to describe my feelings. I could say that our state department needs a set of balls and should concern itself more with the health and well being of our troops rather than whether or not Lady Gaga sings at a gay festival but I'll hold my tongue to keep from offending anyone. People who know me know me as being hard headed and stubborn so rest assured if it takes me doing a HALO jump with my smoker these guys will be eating BBQ in a few weeks. What has happened to this country when a drafted decorated vietnam serviceman isn't deemed worthy of having the honor guard at his funeral since he did not volunteer? But just as in this case, one phone call to the right person had the honor guard at the ready. Its amazing but it does explain why I choose not to be politically correct.

Tomato and Basil sounds like a sure fire winner especially if you label it "Organic". Just don't forget to pack some "Basil" in the packaging. Or you might just label it "Grass fed Camel". In all seriousness that's a pile of shyt to be so dam afraid you're going to offend a bunch of people that sleep with sheep and camels and have no clue about sanitation or anything else for that matter. We need to load those Predators up like crop dusters and send them low and slow over the cities spraying a fine mist of that good rich essense of swine.

Jo,

Do you have an "in" with anybody over at the AFB? Those Air Force guys are experts at getting luxury items into places a cockroach won't go. If the AFB guys have to be stationed somewhere with few amenities they will create a way to get them there. If those guys sorta found out what you are doing and you gave the vittles to them they would somehow find a way to mix it into say a shipment of prayer rugs or some such item and your adopted Team will be sucking pork meat right off the bone in a few short days.

Ill make a call to my BIL and see what he can find out to get by the "rules" I'd bet we can get this done

Jo i got a weekend neighbor who is a retired Airforce. Don't no what AF base your close to but i think your project is some thing he would get involved with. Getting stuff from one place to another was his job.

My wife was in the Air Force when we were dating. Now we have alota friends still serving. What you are doing will boost moral and give them a taste of home. Our soldiers need that. God bless you!

Jo,

Great thing your doing there....or trying to do. Dang shame those rules are in place. How about just labeling it "barbeque meat" or "beef that looks and tastes like pork"

Latest posts