Opening Weekend!

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Yipee!! It's opening weekend starting tomorrow! I am ready to go! How many other hunters do we have here? What are your plans? Where do you hunt? Got any awesome stories? What is your favorite rifle?

I hunt out at my dad's place, south-west of dallas. There are tons of deer up there. There aren't any deer to speak of on our farm, just a $hit load of hogs. I have several rifles, but my all time favorite is my trusty 6mm mag, I've been hunting with it for 8 years and I love it just as much as when we 1st got it, although it is getting harded to find the ammo.

Well, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! May your toes be warm and your racks tall :D :D :D

I'm still curious about the "6mm Mag", would that be a .240 Weatherby?

Our season doesn't open till the 11th, but I'm ready, except for the cold!

dun

I have several rifles that I use. My favorite is my 270. I also shoot a 30/30 a 30-06 amd a 243.

I have a permit to hunt this weekend. Regular season starts next Saturday. Deer season is the true holiday season in my neck of the woods.

A 6 mm is an excellent deer round. My favorite rifle is a .270 Remington that I bought new when I was twelve.

JB

I went hunting on the NE youth weekend last week, goin on Kansas's this week. Shot some holes in some birds last week but they hit the ground runnin. Needed some bigger shells for the conditions.

Took a medium sized 8 point opening weekend (10-16 )of black powder season in Arkansas. Looking forward to gun season ( 11-13 ) now.

.308 Winchester Model 70 & a .54 White inline muzzle loader for me.

.243 for my wife ( I'm wanting to move her up to a 7mm-08 )

.30-06s for both the boys.

;-)

Openong day here is the 13th, getting more anxious each day it draws nearer. Going for the deer opening morning but going to the rodeo that night, back out at it again Sunday. Use a .243 or .270 most of the time.

Forgot to respond with my preferred calibers. 250 Savage for the woods, 257 Roberts Improved for the hay fields, 6.5 Bullberry Improved when I feel like using the Contender

dun

Hunny is out with the boys this very minute, but I have to wait until the weekend before Thanksgiving. Its killing me!!!! A Remmington 25-.06, AKA 'ol Billy Beruuuuu, has done me well!

I'm ready ....... 10 does in the wheat field this afternoon . I might get a buck from my back porch just like this one ....... :lol:

Walkin out the door with 1885 Browning High Wall 30/30. Goining to shoot that rascal thas been making tracks in my hay field.

You might think I am terrible but I really enjoy watching them more than hunting them. I used to deer hunt but now I feed them and let them hide in my woods! My husband & son hunt on family land instead of ours.

TheBullLady":3ek4nsba said:
Ewww.. all you BAMBI KILLERS should be ashamed of yourselves.. :lol:

I'm not much of hunting for Bambi....but Bambis DADDY now your talking.

Season started the end of Oct here. I kind of hide out until all the other people clear out after awhile since we are in the "prime" elk country. But I'd rather get a predator than elk. I live in this snow and surounding year round so I don't get excited about any of it. The elk get pushed so much from everyone I closed off people going through our property to get to the forest. And our poor muley's don't have a chance. The cats and coyotes get all the fawns then work on the does that we are down in population to where they are only 2 couple of hand fulls. Then the "hunters" think a forky is a good kill. :( And they wonder why we don't have big bucks and bulls any more.

Dun,
I believe the rem .244 is so close to the rem 6mm(right not a mag) that the case dimenensions are the same. Isn't it the load that set them apart and a little twist in the casing?

Now I'm not sure about casing and twist's but i the casing is the same size as my .243, I have to look at the butt of the shell to make sure I have the right ammo. I guess it is just a 6mm, it doesn't say mag on the barrel, I'm not sure where I got that from???? Anyway, we basically live on deer and hog meat, I don't hardly buy any meat from the grocery store. I love the wild game, it is fun and rewarding!

cattle_gal":1nnfmlpi said:
Dun,
I believe the rem .244 is so close to the rem 6mm(right not a mag) that the case dimenensions are the same. Isn't it the load that set them apart and a little twist in the casing?

The .244 is the same except for bullet weight and twist. The original .244 (brought out by Rwmington to 1 up Winchesters .243) didn't stablize a bullet some say over 90 grains, I never even got 85 grains to stabilize. Since the bullets under 100 grains then were strictly light jacketed for use on varmints, the .244 didn't work on deer. So Remington renamed it the 6mm Remington and started putting a faster twist in there barrels. Just like magic it worked for deer AND lighter bullets for varmints, just as Winchester had done in the first place. But the 6mm Rem will stabilize 105 grain bullets better then then any .243 Winchester that I've had.
I had Ruger #1 heavy varmint in .244 and my wife has a 700 in 6mm Remington. The 6mm may be a compromise, but it's a good one.
Although based on the ages of the people that respond to the age thing, I'm not shooting anything that has come along since they were born.

dun

Latest posts