Opening the Border

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Grandpa came home today with a rumor that they are opening the Canadian Border back up for beef trade. Anybody else heard anything about this?

Haven't heard anything new on that front up here, Jake. No offense to my American neighbours, but I've been praying every day for it to happen soon. Otherwise I'll probably be out of business and bankrupt this fall. Not too great with three kids to raise myself.

Well, I suppose the upside is we definately are living in interesting times.

Take care.

See I've been praying for it not too happen everyday since we've had high cattle prices. It made bad years have some light at the end of the tunnel. I tried to get some number on imports and exports of beef but didn't find much. I bet that if we didn't import any beef into the states we could not export any either and meet our own demands. I'd trade some of our exports to you guys up there if you don't send any down here. lol
Well I tried
Jake

CattleAnnie":2veggw2x said:
Haven't heard anything new on that front up here, Jake. No offense to my American neighbours, but I've been praying every day for it to happen soon. Otherwise I'll probably be out of business and bankrupt this fall. Not too great with three kids to raise myself.

Well, I suppose the upside is we definately are living in interesting times.

Take care.

How's the Canadian beef market? Don't Canadians eat enough beef to keep prices up? Just curious. Personally I'm all for international trade as long as all parties benefit and make a profit. Otherwise if one country gets screwed at the profit of another, they I'm against it.

I saw on a Canadian chat line where Reuters is reporting that an anonymous Canadian official has said that the border will open Monday for hamburger and boxed cuts of meat with the bone on them- both of which are now banned.

Kind of looks like they are trying to gradually open things up without telling anybody.

Jake, I understand where you're coming from, and don't blame you. We had reasonable prices for our calves and culls before the disaster on May 20, and God knows we all miss them.

Bill, it's a pretty poor market still on feeders, etc. Cull cows is not even worth talking about. Lowest I've gotten for a open cow this spring was 10 cwt, and hightest 28.75 cwt. Talk about flushing money down the toilet, if you knew how much my cattle loans were to purchase them as breds a couple years back (over 1000 bucks a head) when our market was strong. Yes, we do have almost enough of a population to eat up our beef, and God bless them because they supported our industry through these tough times, however that trade agreement you mentioned at the end of the post? Here's the kicker. Although our government has not approved any new deals importing beef from other countries, there are many existing ones that are supplying beef to Canadian customers (Subway, etc) that must be honoured. From what I understand, Ontario and Quebec in particular are importing a fair bit of beef from the US, in part due to the fact that it's more practical to cross the border than pay extra to freight it across the praries.

Oldtimer, I read the report last night myself. Is it just a coincidence that bone-in beef cuts and hamburger from animals under 30 months with summer and all the bar-be-ques around the corner? Methinks not, but I'm very interested in seeing how quickly and far this progresses. Stay tuned for the continuing saga of "How The Stomach Turns".

And now a word from our sponsors.

Take care.

Jake- As one of those that sat next to the border and watched semi after semi of boxed beef and live cattle heading south while the local ranchers were barely keeping their head above water with low cattle prices, high equipment costs and weather extremes--I can agree with you. Montana , without any manufacturing industry to count, was one of the states that got the short end of the stick with NAFTA. We lost our lumber and oil industry and took a big hit in the cattle industry. Lost hundreds of good jobs and families.

I feel for the Canadian farmer and rancher- I think their govt. totally let them down by allowing them to be completely dependent on the U.S. beef industry. But I do not believe we have a North American cattle industry- each country has their own rules, regs, borders, tax and monetary systems and leaders- each has its own industry (although Canada has allowed its to become completely dependent on the U.S.)

I would be more inclined toward opening the border if we could get a Country of Origin Labeling Law running and have a way of permanently marking all imported livestock. Allow a traceback for animal health and allow the consumer to choose which product they want. The current USDA system of labeling all beef (imported or domestic) with the USDA inspected label is a fraud.

CattleAnnie- I agree with your remarks about timing of the supposed opening and the secrecy surrounding it. No press releases from USDA or NCBA--Looks to me like the big packers are pulling the strings on the USDA and NCBA again- Packers need meat for BBQ season so they get the USDA to open the border.

Reminds me of the little old lady at the home who used to sit and pass gas(sneakies)-said it didn't count if you couldn't hear them- but they still smelled the same.----I think Queen Anne is pulling a sneaky!!