Opening of deer season

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Opening day of deer season. Up on top of the world. The kids didn't shoot anything. We saw 36 deer. They past up a couple small bucks. The son who didn't draw a tag picked up 5 shed antlers. The found a cat kill/winter kill bighorn sheep skull. A pretty nice ram. They took pictures but legally had to leave it where they found it.

Top of the world first thing in the morning

The view from the other side of the valley. This is the first time I have been up that hill and very possibiley the last my legs are still burning.

My hunting partner for the day wondering what kind of a mess I put her in....... but thinking about it she was the one with this great idea.

No big bucks again today. But the boys claimed they saw a huge ram along with a big band of ewes.

Farm Fence Solutions":2jfco6x3 said:
Oh ya? Well, I built fence all week. See if you can top that! lol

Nice pictures Dave.

I am 67 and my kids are in there 30's and all have jobs where they work for a living. I might not be alive by the end of the week.

Dave":17juom59 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":17juom59 said:

Nice pictures Dave.

I am 67 and my kids are in there 30's and all have jobs where they work for a living. I might not be alive by the end of the week.

Well I hope you make it till next year when I come to visit. Just in case you don't, shoot me some pointers on fuel mileage and tracking cougars, would ya?

Farm Fence Solutions":3pspf869 said:
Dave":3pspf869 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3pspf869 said:

Nice pictures Dave.

Well I hope you make it till next year when I come to visit. Just in case you don't, shoot me some pointers on fuel mileage and tracking cougars, would ya?

Let's see..... gas mileage. Park the diesel pickup and get a little car. My KIA gets twice the mileage as me my 7.3 power stroke. It is best to tack cougars the morning after a skiff of snow falls. The trouble around here is even with a skiff of snow one can go from the top of the mountain to the bottom a lot faster than planned.

The daughter said she was going to hunt for the big one the first 5 days. If she hadn't got him by today it was freezer buck time. We played with this guy for an hour. It was the third oppurtunity when she had a shot that wasn't walking straight away. About 150 yards offhand she dumped him in his tracks. She was shooting my little 7x57.

Interesting this deer died about 15 yards up the hill from a pile of deer bones. The skull and horns were sitting there. A pretty nice 2 x 4. There was still some hide and hair left on the skull, so last fall or winter?

Dave":2som0fz6 said:
The daughter said she was going to hunt for the big one the first 5 days. If she hadn't got him by today it was freezer buck time. We played with this guy for an hour. It was the third oppurtunity when she had a shot that wasn't walking straight away. About 150 yards offhand she dumped him in his tracks. She was shooting my little 7x57.

Interesting this deer died about 15 yards up the hill from a pile of deer bones. The skull and horns were sitting there. A pretty nice 2 x 4. There was still some hide and hair left on the skull, so last fall or winter?
What kind of deer is that?

True Grit Farms":2uxkzb74 said:
Dave":2uxkzb74 said:

What kind of deer is that?

It is a Mule Deer. It is a small young one but the picture makes it look smaller than it real is. Every one says that the big ones are nice to hang on the wall but if you want one to eat those young ones that have been grazing in the alfalfa are the real deal.

Latest posts