Open well question

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
The other day, I went over the fence to my neighbor's pasture to recover a young calf that slipped through the fence. (Why I didn't call my neighbor is a completely different story and we won't get into that.)

When I spotted the calf, I stopped walking and waited for her to decide what she wanted to do. But - this is not what this post is about.

When I looked down, I saw an open well. It was at least 20 feet deep and about 3 feet in diameter. It was only about 25 yards from my fence line. All I could think of at the moment was, I wonder if my cell phone would have worked down there?

After I got back I thought about calling my neighbor, but I know he knows it is there. He's dozed every tree off of it, disc it, and shredded it several times. That, and he'd probably ask me why I was on his place.

Can anyone refer me to Texas Statue about open abandoned wells?

Best I can tell you is TCEQ.
(Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.)

I'm guessing that you and your neighbor don't have that neighborly type of relationship. I wouldn't sick TCEQ on him if yall are friends, I'd at least talk with him about it first.

If you dont like your neighbor then make the call but if you think it would start a war what about just placing a piece of concrete over it yourself , if he questions it tell him why you did it, although from the sounds of your post he isnt a person that is easy to work with, hope you get that settled soon

Why worry about it? It is on his property, and you shouldn't have to worry about you or any of your livestock falling into it, that is, if your fences are in good shape.

I dont know about that, what if you had kids or grandkids out exploring and they didnt see it, around here you have to have it covered , I sure wouldnt want anyone to fall down it and die, its just being a descent person/ neighbor by covering it up

TXBobcat":191h9inw said:
Why worry about it? It is on his property, and you shouldn't have to worry about you or any of your livestock falling into it, that is, if your fences are in good shape.

If I had a water well nearby I would be worried about it as a point source for pollution and not just a safety issue. Lots of stuff that can find it's way in there that shouldn't.

i believe landowners are responsible for plugging abandoned wells and can be held liable for failing to do so.

It looked like it might have been covered with boards, but as with wood on the ground, they were rotten.

My neighbor is the reason why we have laws dictating our behavior against stupidity.

Dusty Britches":2w2devwo said:
i believe landowners are responsible for plugging abandoned wells and can be held liable for failing to do so.

It looked like it might have been covered with boards, but as with wood on the ground, they were rotten.

My neighbor is the reason why we have laws dictating our behavior against stupidity.

Our local game warden (possum sheriff) fell into an open well while chasing some poachers.

He is a very rich man for it today! :lol:

On another note. We have State Regs that dictate how an abandoned well must be sealed off to prevent contamination of an aquifer. You might try this route.

Here you go:

http://srwqis.tamu.edu/downloads/hurric ... 20wells%22

A half stick of dynagel stemed into a coffee can dropped just below the casing works wonders, if you go this route use someone experienced but, in our neck of the woods we don't worry about closing a well we have to fight to keep them open.

There are open well laws in Texas, I think you'll need to refer to your county regulations for details. Some counties strictly enforce it, others are more lax.

I don't know if I'd call someone on it if you don't get along with your neighbor.. he'll no doubt think you called just to cause trouble. I would talk to him face to face, and see if it can be resolved first.

Good luck!

I think its a law that you cant have an open well. For safety and health issues. At home here we just had a water well dug, and they dug one hole and accidentally dropped something in the hole, so they had to start over. We were left with a 600 foot hole about a foot in diameter. When the guy was putting the pump in, he said they have to cap the holes by law.

All I can think about is alittle girl in a well in a back yard in Midland how quick we are to for get. If we ignore ignorance and stupidity ignorance and stupidity think it's ok. Don't anyone get riled up I was speaking of the neighbor

we have one in the row crop field. it has a metal coca cola lid on it. sometimes when the cows are in there grazing winter annuals they will rub it off. i have seen dead rabbits floating in it before when i've put the top back on. another one in the horse pen is filled with sand.

Family Tradition":wxo7zu3j said:
All I can think about is alittle girl in a well in a back yard in Midland how quick we are to for get. If we ignore ignorance and stupidity ignorance and stupidity think it's ok. Don't anyone get riled up I was speaking of the neighbor

My first thought...little Jessica.

Alice

Thanks for the links, Rocksprings and MikeC. Those were very helpful.

I'll call my neighbor and try to be polite with him on this.

This abandoned well is quite large, like a "drop a bucket down and pull up the water with a rope" type well. The casing is concrete.

After reading the information from those links, I'm concerned about water quality. This abandoned well is uphill from our drinking water. If he sprays chemicals, we could be seriously hurt.

Latest posts