open vs. bred heifer prices

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
If an open, yearling heifer is worth, say $1000, then what would a similar quality 2 yr. old bred heifer be worth?

I know this is sort of an apple and orange comparison, but is there a typical markup for a bred animal vs. an open animal of similar quality?

hillsdown":1nr5pma8 said:
An open heifer is not worth a thousand anymore .............Neither is a bred heifer for that matter..

Now that depends on if they are registered and what breed. We are still selling open heifers for $1,000 or more so somebody thinks they are worth it. :)

I still sell bred heifers for $1100 and $800 for weaned heifers.

Jovid":ngv65lox said:
hillsdown":ngv65lox said:
An open heifer is not worth a thousand anymore .............Neither is a bred heifer for that matter..

Now that depends on if they are registered and what breed. We are still selling open heifers for $1,000 or more so somebody thinks they are worth it. :)
It may also depend on your conditions. Man in Victoria, Texas selling out heavy bred Brahman heifers at $500 per head. Another registered breeder in Dimebox, Texas selling out cheap. They cannot continue buying high dollar hay and hauling in water due to drought.
The sale barns in these drought stricken areas are loaded up with cattle are going cheap. Many bred heifers going to feed lots or are being shipped to where conditions are better.

hillsdown":1kf26z6b said:

I'm not sure what things are like where you are, but even with low milk prices, high quality replacement dairy heifers have been bringing $1500 down here as late as last week.

The questions wasn't about determining my open heifer price, it was about how much more a bred heifer is worth - thanks Dun, for the $300 figure. I was thinking somewhere in that neighborhood and ended up advertising the bred ones at $400 over the open, but I can still negotiate down, I suppose.

These are registered Black Galloways. I wouldn't bother with registering them - I know that doesn't necessarily mean higher quality - but it has made selling heifers much easier.

badaxemoo":16xcvwun said:
hillsdown":16xcvwun said:

I'm not sure what things are like where you are, but even with low milk prices, high quality replacement dairy heifers have been bringing $1500 down here as late as last week.

The questions wasn't about determining my open heifer price, it was about how much more a bred heifer is worth - thanks Dun, for the $300 figure. I was thinking somewhere in that neighborhood and ended up advertising the bred ones at $400 over the open, but I can still negotiate down, I suppose.

These are registered Black Galloways. I wouldn't bother with registering them - I know that doesn't necessarily mean higher quality - but it has made selling heifers much easier.

Those prices are for registered or commercial heifers. They're the same quality animal just no papers on the commercial ones.

Latest posts