Open letter to Hollywood

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
An open letter to Hollywood from a cowboy
Baxter Black

Making a western movie implies an obligation to a higher standard. Louis L'Amour, Gene Autry, Zane Gray, Roy Rogers, John Ford and John Wayne understood this. They acknowledged the responsibility they bore to the generations of young minds who loved their movies.

We would be hard put today to name a western movie you could take a 12-year-old to. "Brokeback Mountain"? "Unforgiven"? "All The Pretty Horses"? The only new western TV show is "Deadwood."

As time marches on, our children have become more sophisticated. Which, unfortunately, means profanity, lewdness, explicit violence and egregious horror are part of their everyday experience as a grade-schooler. Got cable?

I'm sure this sounds like a disgruntled rant, but it's more like wishful thinking. Why is it necessary to unearth the feet of clay of our heroes? No one knows better then real cowboys that the image portrayed in the old westerns was made through rose-colored glasses.

Out of some perverse sense to reveal the "whole story," the movie industry continues to feature crooked cops, seditious astronauts, perverted teachers, greedy doctors, sadistic soldiers and cowardly firefighters in movies. The more admirable the occupation, the more sordid the story. I know these are not meant for children.

I appreciate the movie industry's rating guide. However, all that is left for children are "fantasy" movies like "Harry Potter" or cartoons like "The Lion King." But children's movies lack role models. They can't grow up to be Luke Skywalker or Cat Woman or Shrek.

But I can't blame just Hollywood for the coarsening of our culture and our children. Hollywood and HBO are clueless. It is like trying to explain that it is bad manners to chew with your mouth open to a pack of hyenas. We all have contributed. We let it happen. We let them destroy our collective sense of decency.

For a child to emulate a hero, the hero has to be portrayed by a real person - someone they can become when they grow up. That's why the old western movies had a value beyond entertainment. It made kids want to be like the cowboy on the screen who was one of the good guys.

It is that high standard embodied in those old westerns that are readily available on repackaged DVDs in discount stores nationwide.

Do your kid a favor. Make sure they get to see what real human action heroes look like. Watch it with them. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting a horse!

Have you seen The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada ? Now that is a good movie and Tommy Lee Jones plays about as honorable character as could be portayed in that one. Its set in modern day, but portrays real old west values. It will make you realize a different view of the immigration issue.

Cow_Town":21pu97ix said:
Have you seen The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada ? Now that is a good movie and Tommy Lee Jones plays about as honorable character as could be portayed in that one. Its set in modern day, but portrays real old west values. It will make you realize a different view of the immigration issue.

I LOVETommy Lee Jones. He's good in everything and gets sexier as he ages. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

its not up to tv or movies to teach your kids morals I've been watching the simpsons since I was little and I've grown up pretty well

AngusSenorita":1toz6lfy said:
its not up to tv or movies to teach your kids morals I've been watching the simpsons since I was little and I've grown up pretty well
Not doubting you one little bit on your decency, but you've grown up watching a cartoon that wouldn't have been allowed on TV when I was growing up. Therefore, some of the inuendos found on "The Simpsons" are not as offensive to you as they may be to me. I remember that shows like "All In The Family" and "M*A*S*H" were not allowed in my home due to language and adult content. They seem pretty mild by today's standards, don't they? The point is, we've become so desensitized that we don't recognize immorality when it spits in our face.

J. T.":2h9odisj said:
AngusSenorita":2h9odisj said:
Not doubting you one little bit on your decency, but you've grown up watching a cartoon that wouldn't have been allowed on TV when I was growing up. Therefore, some of the inuendos found on "The Simpsons" are not as offensive to you as they may be to me. I remember that shows like "All In The Family" and "M*A*S*H" were not allowed in my home due to language and adult content. They seem pretty mild by today's standards, don't they? The point is, we've become so desensitized that we don't recognize immorality when it spits in our face.

unfortunalty that is the way of the World now, not that we should like it, or keep putting up with it. We need to bring back
Corpral Punishment and National Service. the disapline would do a lot of the youth of today the World of good. IMO

I would really like it if we went back to some decency on TV. I don't like all the trashy stuff. Even some of the commercials are terrible. We try to watch something and have to turn it off because of language or sex stuff or just perverted people. What good comes out of those types of shows? NONE

Cow_Town":2bi2xt23 said:
Have you seen The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada ?

That was enjoyable.

We had a couple of channels when we were kids. If there was nothing worth watching, we did something else, which was usually about all the time. If the three stooges or lil rascals were on televison, we were glued to it. I remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr Green Jeans quite well during earlier years.

I was about 43 years old before I actually sat through an entire 30 minutes of I Love Lucy. It was in a hotel room and the wife wanted to see that episode, so I watched it. The only episode I have ever been able to sit through.

Latest posts