Open Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefeater

Reaction score
Not the best picture, but it's the best I've been able to get in the last couple months. She's a Connealy Counselor daughter and just shy of 9 months. Curious to hear comments good bad or indifferent show related or not. Not looking to show, just trying to learn...

She is at that wonderful age where they are hip high and kind of gangly, so its hard to judge. Kinda like horses, they go from a cute foal, to that yearling year where they often don't look great, even though they will be. She does appear to have a nice top and is deep in her barrel, and the structure on her front legs is acceptable. Her back legs have more set (bannana leg) than I personally like, which caused her back cannons to be out of line a bit. The back of the cannon bone should drop in a straight line from the point of the tail head. She appears to be a bit heavy fronted, but her head carriage in the picture influences that perception a ton. She is also what I consider a touch light boned compared to her mass and frame. She is not what I would consider a barn burner herself, but bred right, may produce some good ones.

Boot Jack Bulls":1jiqhckb said:
She is at that wonderful age where they are hip high and kind of gangly, so its hard to judge. Kinda like horses, they go from a cute foal, to that yearling year where they often don't look great, even though they will be. She does appear to have a nice top and is deep in her barrel, and the structure on her front legs is acceptable. Her back legs have more set (bannana leg) than I personally like, which caused her back cannons to be out of line a bit. The back of the cannon bone should drop in a straight line from the point of the tail head. She appears to be a bit heavy fronted, but her head carriage in the picture influences that perception a ton. She is also what I consider a touch light boned compared to her mass and frame. She is not what I would consider a barn burner herself, but bred right, may produce some good ones.
I think that was an excellent critique. I am far from a cattle judge but the rear legs look like the weak point to me. I would however be glad to have her in my pasture.

Thank you for the replies and real critique! Learning more all the time - wasn't raised around cattle and no mentor yet, so honest feedback is always appreciated. I'll try to get a better picture for front end evaluation.

Pretty decent from her shoulders back - little more set to her hind legs than ideal, but it's way better than being too straight. I do agree she could be heavier boned.

Having her head down in the pic certainly doesn't flatter her. She's pretty wastey in her brisket, but a bigger concern to me is that her neck appears to come out of her shoulders a little low. Even with her head down, her neck needs to tie into the top of her shoulder. Some of that could be her position, it's just hard to tell.

All in all she appears to have the makings of a productive female, just a little plain fronted and refined in her bonework to be a competitive show heifer.

Latest posts