Open cows North vs South

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
I sold 3 open cows last week and wondering how they compare with southern neighbours. Two older cows 1850lb x 1.20 and 1650 x 1. 25 and a Open heifer 18 month old 980lb x 2.08 lb all roan shorthorns around 6200 gross minus sale barn fees and trucking roughed out @ 100$ head . What is it like in the states?

Sorry off topic here, but if those beautiful heifers you posted are going to turn into 1800 pounders I will revoke my admiration.

Depends on their breed and age. A local sale barn near us will dock you for these cows being roan shorthorns. Kinda wish I had dropped off my roan shorthorns at another local sale barn where the chrome doesn't matter.

Nope the big open one was a 10yr old purebred that I bought as a bred heifer she didn't raise a calf last yr and was open this fall so was fat when she came in and I put them on some grain as they do sell by the pound. The heifers I raised should max out at 1300 to 1400 lbs that is the weight I like here they raise a decent calf and you can put some pounds on for salvage value when they are done
This is a pic of old cow before going to pasture this spring

You did very well with those prices, much better than I did two months ago. You got any daughters off that cow pictured? I could stand to have a few like her around.

She raised a number of bull calves most made good breeders and I have a few heifers. I AI her to a great roan bull and got a beautiful heifer which I ai to a bull from Australia month before due found her dead cast herself against a round bale feeder. The nicer the animal the more they seem to find a way to die. One of these roans are off her and are ai to another roan bull Saskvalley Yesterday featured in the Semex catalogue

Taurus":2f1ptxb2 said:
Depends on their breed and age. A local sale barn near us will dock you for these cows being roan shorthorns. Kinda wish I had dropped off my roan shorthorns at another local sale barn where the chrome doesn't matter.
These probably ended up hamburger where color isn't that big a deal.

I just got my sale barn report, cows were going from $.95 to $1.10 /lb, so I think you did really well up there.. cow prices here have softened, I think transport is part of that with the weather.
Bulls were about $1.10-$1.30, so a little softer there too

I love the look of those calves.. the chrome sure makes each one unique

Latest posts