Open border effect

Help Support CattleToday:

jgn

Reaction score
I know that with the border between Canada and the U.S. being closed it has created a hardship on the Canadian side and good times price wise on the U.S. side but, what does everyone think is going to happen to our prices when the border does reopen? With the oversupply of cattle in Canada is the bottom going to fall out of it or do you think they will fall and hold steady at what used to be normal selling prices?

I think that the bottom will fall out of our market. It will steady back out once we ge back to "normal" numbers. There are reasons I want the border close and ones I'd like it open but that's for another day.

jgn":1gnhcl90 said:
....what does everyone think is going to happen to our prices when the border does reopen?
Depends. On how orderly the opening is in terms of limiting numbers and on how many others open their borders to our exports at the same time or before.

There will certainly be an initial market hit just with the announcement. The Gucci loafer cowmen in Chicago will cause that before the first cattle go up the chute on the Canadian side.

Texan":37g6tt9o said:
jgn":37g6tt9o said:
....what does everyone think is going to happen to our prices when the border does reopen?
Depends. On how orderly the opening is in terms of limiting numbers and on how many others open their borders to our exports at the same time or before.

There will certainly be an initial market hit just with the announcement. The Gucci loafer cowmen in Chicago will cause that before the first cattle go up the chute on the Canadian side.

Its a buyers market and right now we are at the top of cycle. I agree with Texan that the Gucci guys have a lot of impact. In 99/00 we were getting pennies on the pound the buyers had us over a barrel. Today beef demand is up and so are the prices.I do think it will cycle back down always has before. Now when it comes to talking all the market influences I am as dumb as dirt. Texan, La4, txag and Craig probably understand the market drivers in our area a lot more than most. No I would say they are your best source on the board in the Southwest.