Only 2 nipples producing milk

Help Support CattleToday:

CrystalL

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old very healthy Angus that had her first calf 5 days ago. Two of her teats are not producing any milk (front two) that area of her milk sack also is not near as large as the two back. They are not hot to the touch, not cracked or bleeding so I assume not sore as I am able to touch and massage the area. Any advise on how to make the milk come down for all 4 nipples.

Crystal

give the calf a chance to work all four . she can produce enough with 2 qtrs if front 2 do not start . give it time . if the calf is not thrifty and obviously not growing you may have to consider supplementing calf and culling the cow.

Probably what has happened is sometime when this heifer was being weaned, another nursed on her. It ruins udders... I'd get rid of her if they don't start working. What will happen is she'll have a calf and they'll work on the front nonworking ones and lose out on getting colostrum in the critical time period... I've seen calves almost starve to death nursing on nonworking teats. My vet always recommends having a non worker removed to keep this from happening. But since yours has 2, i'd sell her after this calf...

wbvs58 said:
I'd say the calf is draining the front two as easiest to get to but once it realises that there are 4 everything will even up.

Ken

This is my guess as well. All of our new mamas are walking around with a lopsided udder. It's normal if the calf is just sucking the one or two.