One stoopid dog

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
When I go to fetch the cows for evening milking from the top of the farm I take with me: one 4WD ATV, one sleeping bag, warm clothes, snacks, one faithful canine companion, torch (because even if it was daylight, it could be dark by the time they reach the cowshed) but anyway, I digress...

So this evening just after dark I was on my way to get the cows and the bike lights illuminated a rabbit darting under the fence. Of course the dog saw it too. Well the rabbit must have doubled back because a fraction of a minute later they were both heading straight for the bike - I was doing 25K/hour and my attempt to slow down and avoid was met by the dog changing direction, a big thump on the front wheel and a smaller bump on the back wheel.
I flicked the torch (flashlight?) on and picked out my dog. He was all right. I wasn't :cry: :cry: I'd just run over my dog and I didn't know whether to yell at him or kick him, so I did neither and he jumped onto the back of the bike and we went for the cows.

Much later, following the cows home I realised we'd reached the same spot again. There was a dead rabbit lying in the middle of the race.
The rabbit wasn't family :banana: :banana: :banana:
Suddenly the un-injured dog riding the back of the bike seems a little less miraculous.

I must have hit him though, I discovered later. He has a swollen, weepy eye, and a lump like you'd get from a hard knock on the head. He's still luckier than the rabbit.

Hope you and the dog learned something...Did you or the dog have the rabbit for supper? :D

Neither. It's still there. If I had my knife on me I'd have picked it up... can't say no to a free meal in these economic times.
Maybe he'll catch me another.

regolith":34ig96ul said:
Neither. It's still there. If I had my knife on me I'd have picked it up... can't say no to a free meal in these economic times.
Maybe he'll catch me another.

I swear to this and I have witnesses that can prove it. I had a chevy corsica once back in the 1990's. One day I was driving down the road and saw a rabbit on the side of the road. I paid him no mind I figured he would run back into the bushes. I was doing 45. He jumped in front of me and hit the front passenger side bumper and put a big ole rabbit sized dent in it and left rabbit guts all over the side of it. It was so nasty.

...and sometimes, when you hit one, and your window is rolled down..... you can actually hear the rabbit scream....

iiiiiiiiiiEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ToddFarmsInc":30il7dkk said:
...and sometimes, when you hit one, and your window is rolled down..... you can actually hear the rabbit scream....

Our rabbits say------ OH Sh** !!!! :banana:

ToddFarmsInc":a974kc5s said:

I didnt hear this rabbit scream it happened so fast all I heard was bones crunching when he hit.

Latest posts