One reason healthcare is so expensive in the US

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
With the US spending more money on healthcare than any other country in the world but only being ranked 37 compared to other nation's so you have to wonder why.

Well, I found one reason. Our local hospital has been purchased by a larger hospital and they are updating the hospital funneling millions into it. One thing they are going to try and offer is Life Flight since they have the helicopters to do so. Fortunately, they have the perfect place to install the heliport in a vacant spot beside the ER but unfortunately due to the government regulations, licenses and permits it will cost the hospital over $100,000 to pour the pad.

Due to exorbitant costs of these "permits" compared to the benefit costs of doing this the hospital has opted not to do it. Instead, since one of my farms is close to the hospital they have asked if I would be willing to allow them to use my pastures as a Life Flight landing zone in the event of an emergency. Without hesitation I agreed. Now I just have to figure out how much I need to charge for each landing. And should I charge a lift-off fee as well? And forms. Yes, I need to prepare a bunch of paperwork and forms for them to fill out. Lots of them. In triplicate. And redundant forms too. Gotta have redundancy with codes and acronyms that only me and God knowing what they mean so I can be assure deniable culpribility if something goes wrong. (Just kidding on the fees)

You just have to love DotGov! Anyone who still thinks DotGov cares about you is a special kind of ..... well .... let's just say you are special.

Jogeephus":1zr2zwqw said:
Anyone who still thinks DotGov cares about you is a special kind of ..... well .... let's just say you are special.

That's awful kind Jo, ain't nobody said anything that nice to me since my mama. I just wish people would quite making everything so political and give the president a few minutes to just sit down and watch the news so he can figure out what is happening. But instead, they just keep asking him questions when he has already told them he doesn't know what has happened and their are people looking into and those responsible will be held accountable. Gosh!

I must be missing something. Does the hospital own the good landing spot beside the ER. If so why not sell it to you and lease back rights to land there or is it a lot more complicated. I just think it would be better in the long run to be beside the ER.

Better place some limitations on the number of times it can be used or else you won't have any grass left after it gets sandblasted enough times

These regulatory authorities are self perpetuating. Personal are dreaming up more restrictions and compliance approvals so that their job into the future is secure and that more personal will be required to approve and police things. I see this every day as new industries in regulating are developed. Traffic control at road works is one prime example.
Whats wrong with the grass in the hospital grounds anyway.
Ken

Heck Joe, just put a sign out there that says "Land at your own risk" and pretend ntohing ever happens. Gotta make sure you have no liability.

TexasBred":du41t5j7 said:
Heck Joe, just put a sign out there that says "Land at your own risk" and pretend ntohing ever happens. Gotta make sure you have no liability.
Spell it out in stones like you were spelling "HELP" on a deserted island beach. That way they can't say they couldn't see it from the air. After that you could mark off the lz with pre-emergent just to keep things tidy and official looking.

wbvs58":2lwmsdi7 said:
These regulatory authorities are self perpetuating. Personal are dreaming up more restrictions and compliance approvals so that their job into the future is secure and that more personal will be required to approve and police things. I see this every day as new industries in regulating are developed. Traffic control at road works is one prime example.
Whats wrong with the grass in the hospital grounds anyway.
Ken

I don't know. I got a phone call from one person asking if I'd be willing to let them do this and after agreeing they said someone from the EMT bunch will contact me later with the details. My wife is a nurse and she was privy to some of the discussion about the high cost of the permits and the hospital canning the idea because of it. I live in a small town and our hospital is not much more than a band aid station so they don't have a booming business and if you are hurt bad you best get somewhere else.

Just reading between the lines on some bits and pieces the hospital is in the city limits and our city has sold its soul to the feds for grants and such so its probably got to do with some regulation about a non-licensed landing area in the city limits or some nonsense like that but its not like its going to see a lot of use.

You are right about these self perpetuating entities. A congressman might vote for clean water. I think everyone wants clean water but then the agency creates a regulation requiring an environmental impact study before you can do the work and silk fencing on top of hills so the dirt doesn't wash up the hill. Then there is the Endangered Species Act, the Archeological thing with the Indians, the historic thing. All these hoops you have to pay to jump through. I spoke to a guy that sets up cell phone towers and he told me just in these fees alone it costs somewhere around $80,000 for each tower so I suspect this is on the same lines.

I have a customer from south Louisiana with a helicopter aerial spray operation. When he is working NFS in this area, he lands his helicopter at his favorite resteraunt down town Mena AR. Funny how things are different across this country

Its probably goes back to one of those laws that just doesn't apply to him. I'm exempt from several myself and I am sure you are too. I've found its when you raise your hand is when the trouble starts.

You're right. It's probably illegal, but he does it, and everybody that sees it happen are in a state of shock and awe, suspended animation, that they just think of the "cool" factor. He eats his lunch and goes back to work without having infringed on anybody elses life, liberty, property, or pursuit of happiness. In fact, he may have made some onlookers more aware of such things

Jo, if you're going to do this you have to have at least 15 bloodthirsty lawyers to take care of your legal issues, and to protect you when one of your swamp heifers attacks the heli.

I believe I would find it easier to deal with an attorney than to live with myself if someone died because I wouldn't allow them to use the field. If I were to get sued and lose over something like this then I would know it was time to leave this country and go elsewhere because this would let me know there is no hope for this country.

Latest posts