One of those days

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Have you ever had a day when nothing goes right? This morning I started banding and eartagging all of the calves born so far. The first calf went smooth but it fell apart from there. I struggled on the banding at counting to two. I would get two dropped and a split second before I would release the bander one would shoot back up into the abdomen so I fast I would not see or feel it. One bull calf had to wait until I had screwed it up twice. I had to CAREFULLY cut the band off of him and install another. To add insult to injury I put the ear tag in backwards on him. He was a week old calf and strong as a month old. I just left the tag in backward.....I'll fix it when I run them through for worming and vacs this summer. :mad: :oops: :x :( :???: :dunce: :?

Sounds like last night for me, except it was hitting a ticked off cow with a Mag light, dumping the calf out of the sled 3 times and almost ending up in the middle of a cow fight in the barn.
Know how you feel Hoss, hope it is better now. :D

Both of your stories sound like what I went through a month and a half ago.. :lol2:

You just need to get your calving groove back, as it has been a year you know.. ;-) :tiphat:

Sure makes us thankfull for the easy calving seasons. After heavy snows this year we're up to our hocks in mud so bad that it sucks the boots right off your feet. DMc

We have been using a clamp to hold the testicles that makes the job so much easier that it's ridiculous.

My partners Dad fashioned it out of the clamp from a shop light. I will try to post a picture if I can. We just pull the nuts down place the clamp up against the abdomen and then apply the band I have yet to have to redo one out of close to 20 I have used it on.

hoss when your day starts off like that just slow down.i to have had those days.an they are no fun.

By fixing it, do you mean cut it out and putting in new one? Why don't you take a marker and no. it on the other side (front side). I use blank tags and put the number on both sides. Makes it easy to see front or back. Saves a lot of walking as I'm pretty da-n lazy. And old.

I here ya Hoss. Must be in the air this week!
Murphy's Law has applied this week. What can go wrong will. And what does not will just plain tank!

Definitely in the air this week, but I hate to prove my stupidity on the internet...
Yesterday started with flies (eating the cows I'm trying to milk), followed by a certain mutt wandering over to the neighbours and because he's never done that before, she didn't know him and called Dog Control...
Followed by returning to the ATV with dog and discovering that the cows had knocked it halfway into the ditch - and the Dog Control guy drove past while I was pulling it out with the tractor :oops:
I thought that was the end of the bad day. Till I got home and discovered my cat had thrown up on a pile of newly washed curtains and blankets.

I *hate* those backwards eartags.

Roadapple":2afq2mya said:
By fixing it, do you mean cut it out and putting in new one? Why don't you take a marker and no. it on the other side (front side). I use blank tags and put the number on both sides. Makes it easy to see front or back. Saves a lot of walking as I'm pretty da-n lazy. And old.

I do have the number written on both sides of the tag. It's just that it looks like an idiot (close enough description of me) tagged this calf. The tags back button is on the front of the ear and it don't hang right. This year I went with orange tags for calves with the same number as momma has followed by a B for bull and H for heifer. The orange shows up on the black so good everybody driving down the road is gonna notice my screwed up ear tag.

HOSS":2fdwntx1 said:
everybody driving down the road is gonna notice my screwed up ear tag.

My last backwards tag calf was #634 (34th calf in 2006)... and while it drove me nuts... nobody else noticed until I pointed it out...

...and yes, it was changed at 4 months old with the round of 1st shots...

Remember like bigbull338 said... "Go slow to go fast".

rockridgecattle":2dvglcnt said:
I here ya Hoss. Must be in the air this week!
Murphy's Law has applied this week. What can go wrong will. And what does not will just plain tank!

Murphy was an optimist!!

Hoss,

It is alright over the years every now and again my daddy would screw up and put a tag in backwards. I would always make fun. Then I did it myself once. I dont make fun anymore!

Latest posts