One of those days

Help Support CattleToday:

The last one I had done by cesarean was a big calf and had been dead long enough that the hair was falling off. It may be a bad idea but what's the alternative? I'd rather a bad idea that saves the cow than a chancy good idea where the cow dies.
Just saying that the outcome is not always as good as the one you got. I have never seen where a vet couldn't get all the dead calf (even if in pieces ) through the birth canal, but I suppose it goes to show that bad outcomes are possible with any procedure.
The odds of infection are far higher doing a c-section on a dead calf than fully extracting it out the natural direction.

Just saying that the outcome is not always as good as the one you got. I have never seen where a vet couldn't get all the dead calf (even if in pieces ) through the birth canal, but I suppose it goes to show that bad outcomes are possible with any procedure.
The odds of infection are far higher doing a c-section on a dead calf than fully extracting it out the natural direction.
Yeah, I've had them die too. I was just saying that I'd have a hard time leaving parts of a calf inside and expecting it to mummify. That sounds like the an option that is well down the list behind pulling a calf and cesarean.

Wouldn't breed so she went in the freezer.

I was curious to see if there would be a scar and maybe some meat that was ruined so I delivered her and watched until she was on the rail. No scar that I could discern and she made great beef.

The processor in Piedmont SD was the best I've ever been to. They did an excellent job. The processor in Newell was so bad that I opened up a package labeled New York steak and found something with a part of a knuckle in it. Just thought I'd throw that in... LOL
I those circumstances surviving was a good result.

Ken

Well the outcome I expected happened today . Found her dead . I was surprised to see she had delivered the calf remains . Couldn't tell if she had prolapsed her uterus or if it was placenta. Got her buried in a peaceful spot . Always hurts to lose one . Losing 3 is a gut punch 🥊
Sorry to hear that, I was wondering whether she might actually get rid of the remains but I guess the effort must have been a bit too much for her.

Ken

Sorry to hear that, I was wondering whether she might actually get rid of the remains but I guess the effort must have been a bit too much for her.

Ken
Don't know if it was a dying reaction like emptying their bowels or if that was her last effort.

Well the outcome I expected happened today . Found her dead . I was surprised to see she had delivered the calf remains . Couldn't tell if she had prolapsed her uterus or if it was placenta. her buried in a peaceful spot . Always hurts to lose one . Losing 3 is a gut punch 🥊
I'm so sorry coach.

Latest posts