One of the biggest cows I've ever seen

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm":39nupuzz said:
IMAG0755_zps7dbaa9a4.jpg

If this old girl weighs a pound she will weigh 2000+ lbs. She is the biggest cow on my place.

What is she and her age?
She looks like a solid girl.

glacierridge":13rk1ia4 said:
I wanna see pics of this animal...
I have seen a few monsters in my day.
Idk why, I like big critters.
They just strike me as cool.
I do to, I really like to look at 1400lb and up cows. Seems my herd is kinda split in half, half would probably average 1150lbs, then the other half is about 1450lbs. Out of my cows I have no calving problems out of the small or big cows, and all there calves end up about the same. Big cows are just nice to look at, and good smaller calves are nicer to winter.

glacierridge":1so7fo53 said:
M5farm":1so7fo53 said:
IMAG0755_zps7dbaa9a4.jpg

If this old girl weighs a pound she will weigh 2000+ lbs. She is the biggest cow on my place.

What is she and her age?
She looks like a solid girl.

IDK is suspect a large percentage Char. she was the only white cow in the herd I bought this year. she is solid and has a real nice heifer calf on her.

I'll never forget, I was at a sale barn bout a hour south of me. And this huge black cow that was owned by the Amish down there came thru she weighed 2360#. I couldn't believe my eyes she was big and fatttt! :lol:

HughesFamilyCattle":2e7x51xr said:
inyati13":2e7x51xr said:
If those cows are only 1800, this cow I sold in January has them beat. This black cow weighed 1,890 pounds market weight as she walked into the stockyards. What you have to see in person is how wide she was. But I think that Fleckveihish cow above is more like 2,000 pounds. She is big!!!!
j99gqo.jpg

sfgh13.jpg

Ron,

She's a beast! Is that the one you sold because she was getting too bossie with the others? Did you go to the Belles of the Bluegrass sale?

Keith, the Belles of the Bluegrass just slipped me by. I wanted to go. That is where my cattle have come from: Rocking P and Double Diamond.

No, this is not Big Bertha. Bertha went about 1780. This big cow, Blackie, was not getting with calf. She is the only one that has failed me. Mike Gifford palpatated her ans said she either had tumors or too much fat in her reproductive system. He advised me to sell her.

How is the guy who fell from the rails?

Nesikep":2cmxre2j said:
And a 3 year old shorthorn bull someone was trying to convince me to buy... not too bad, certainly has length, but I think I'm going to wait until 2 bulls from now before I go back to SH... I think I'll try a Limo first, then maybe a Saler again... Ideally for me, I'd find a (Simm or GV or even Char) X (Limo or Saler) bull... I think that would work well for me with what I have

I don't do SH, but that's not a bad looking Bull.

fitz

In 2005 we sold a cull cow, she was open a preg checking . Did not know she was that big, she was huge but never thought that huge . A big fat Charolais cow about 4 years old and she weighed a little over 2000 lbs . I wish cull prices were not 35 cents a pound back then , might have recouped some of the feed costs from her .

M5, that cow is nice, but I doubt she's much over 1700... though it is hard to say by pictures too.

The snout on that fleckvieh cow I showed earlier allowed plenty of eating capacity, her nose probably would have had a hard time getting into a 5 gallon pail!

That bull was pretty nice, but I have as much SH in my herd as I want right now, with most of the cows being half, and a few being 3/4 or 1/4.. I'm looking really hard at Limos... the trade deal (my gelbvieh for a simm) kinda fell through, the guy would still like to use him for another year and he says old bulls that he brings in don't like staying up on the range, and end up coming home right away... so what I'm thinking is I'll look into buying a bull calf which I'll breed my heifers and 1st calvers to, and keep my gelbvieh for next summer for the bigger cows.

Here are some of my bigger cows
This one is the one that had a stroke in the spring and had to be put down, I figure she was somewhere in the 17-1800 range, she had a lot of length and even more width

A modest cow, really easy keeper and makes great calves... Just sold her bull calf today for 1300

a couple years ago with her 2nd calf

This one (Bucky) and her sister are my 2 biggest cows.. her chest girth was about 92", don't know what that works out to... She is the one who had twins this spring with one malpositioned... both twins were 110 lbs

And her full sister Nelly, who's no less of a cow

The first cow I pictured in the last post is the mother of the long yearling steer I sold to my friend, who kept him another year... He ended up with a hanging weight of 940 lbs and a final weight of 640 lbs... sure filled up his freezer!

That's this guy, and that holstein cow was able to hide behind him

Nesikep":2egnomtb said:
The first cow I pictured in the last post is the mother of the long yearling steer I sold to my friend, who kept him another year... He ended up with a hanging weight of 940 lbs and a final weight of 640 lbs... sure filled up his freezer!

That's this guy, and that holstein cow was able to hide behind him

Nesikep, is that a weeping willow. If so I am surprised it grows up there although I know native willows of some species grow even farther north of you.

This is my largest Angus cow. Her dam is a 1.1 frame, and she is a bit taller than she is. The cow behind her is a 10 year old cow, and she is an .8 frame. (I am not too happy with the .8 frame cow, and will be sending her back to the commercial herd) She did have one good heifer.
This cow will not lose weight, and gives lots of milk. She always has padding around her tail head on pasture, and is so gentle. This picture was taken this late fall, and she was fed light grain this winter, but has not seen it since the first of March.
I believe this is the longest hipped cow I have ever seen. It may not look like it in this picture, but when I get her in a chute next time, I am going to put a ruler on it to see how long it is. She was weighed on a cow scale and weighed 2087 this summer. She raises a huge calf. She will not be leaving the farm unless her health changes.
Ida20131.jpg

I was thinking about you, as I haven't seen you around. I wondered if Putin had not rode across the tundra on his pony and you jumped on the back, and ran off with him! He does sort of look like the new James Bond you know. :lol2:

I don't cruise all the boards , and I should get out more.
I like the larger cows too. I make sure that I buy the easy keepers. I started to go to a sale, but a lot of the bulls that were almost 18 months to 2 years old were only 46" tall. When I worked my weaners :shock: a couple of weeks ago, they were anywhere from 45" to 48."
It would look funny to see that old of a bull with babies the same height.
I did see one bull that I might have bought, but I decided not go drive that far with only one bull prospect. I would have been upset if I had of made the trip.
Ida is gentle, but not like your cows. She will let me touch her nose, and stand as close to her as I can, but I cannot touch her body. I would like to be able to touch all of my cows, but I can forget that.
I like for all my cattle to be gentle enough that I can walk up and stand next to them and look at their feet or what needs to be addressed. It is too much trouble to chase one down and get it in a chute to look at it.
Full blooded Angus just aren't as cuddly unless you start them out as babies and halter break them, and stay on top of them.

Latest posts