One of the biggest cows I've ever seen

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
I was at the sale barn today dropping off my calves for the sale tomorrow, and I looked around a bit, I saw some nice gelvieh looking bred? heifers that seemed pretty gentle too, but I saw this black (angus?) cow that had the deepest chest I've ever seen, her navel was hardly a foot off the ground but she was probably still a frame 6 cow and built like a brick s**thouse, I'm pretty sure she was over 1800 lbs... there were a bunch of monstrous herefords there too

I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow

Biggest cow I ever saw was a huge beefalo cow my bud has. I don't know her official weight but I could say over 2,000lbs easily.

I've got some big girls too, they're shorthorn crosses and I figure they're in that range too, both have had twins, and from one of them they were born at 110 lbs each.

glacierridge":2e8fc9xi said:
I wanna see pics of this animal...
I have seen a few monsters in my day.
Idk why, I like big critters.
They just strike me as cool.

They strike me as expensive to feed.. 8)

insurman":b1v8k4ue said:
glacierridge":b1v8k4ue said:
I wanna see pics of this animal...
I have seen a few monsters in my day.
Idk why, I like big critters.
They just strike me as cool.

They strike me as expensive to feed.. 8)

Not really.
Our big mommas only need a good scoop of silage and a couple slabs of hay to maintain.
Depends on the cow.

OK, OK, i'll dig up the pics I took...

Here is one of the ones I was talking about.. there was another that I think was bigger but I wasn't able to get a pic

A Fleckveihish cow... helluva udder... I'm sure she can make a good calf

and some gelbviehish heifers I quite liked

a nice heifer calf, but she seemed pretty spooky... well built though

Same one

And a 3 year old shorthorn bull someone was trying to convince me to buy... not too bad, certainly has length, but I think I'm going to wait until 2 bulls from now before I go back to SH... I think I'll try a Limo first, then maybe a Saler again... Ideally for me, I'd find a (Simm or GV or even Char) X (Limo or Saler) bull... I think that would work well for me with what I have

Those were some pretty good sized cows. That was a big Fleck cow. I do believe that is the biggest udder I have ever seen that was not on a dairy cow. I bet all the babies were "drive by sippers!

If those cows are only 1800, this cow I sold in January has them beat. This black cow weighed 1,890 pounds market weight as she walked into the stockyards. What you have to see in person is how wide she was. But I think that Fleckveihish cow above is more like 2,000 pounds. She is big!!!!
j99gqo.jpg

sfgh13.jpg

i sold one of my bigger cows about 4 years ago, black simbrah 7F weighed 1800 and wasnt fat.... wasnt looking through the same eyes back then though...

I don't have a picture of her, but our biggest was 2005 pounds at the sale barn and not a pinch of waste on her, a 3/4 BB.
Everyone at the barn thought she was a bull and was scared that she was aggressive... Which she was neither.
Darn easy keeper.

glacierridge said:
I don't have a picture of her, but our biggest was 2005 pounds at the sale barn and not a pinch of waste on her, a 3/4 BB.
Everyone at the barn thought she was a bull and was scared that she was aggressive... Which she was neither.
Darn easy keeper.[/quote]
something like that is really hard to say,, unless you got something to compare it to...

That shorthorn bull is quite a dandy. When my father-in-law was raising beefmasters he had some huge mam cows. Sold one of his leftovers a few months back, and it topped the scales at 1500+. And that was a 14 yr old cow.

Nesi that shorthorn bull was a dandy. With the right EPD's he might have helped moderate your big girls a bit!

inyati13":279jjyr9 said:
If those cows are only 1800, this cow I sold in January has them beat. This black cow weighed 1,890 pounds market weight as she walked into the stockyards. What you have to see in person is how wide she was. But I think that Fleckveihish cow above is more like 2,000 pounds. She is big!!!!
j99gqo.jpg

sfgh13.jpg

Ron,

She's a beast! Is that the one you sold because she was getting too bossie with the others? Did you go to the Belles of the Bluegrass sale?

ALACOWMAN":2l7q3aib said:
glacierridge":2l7q3aib said:
Darn easy keeper.
something like that is really hard to say,, unless you got something to compare it to...

Yeah, other cows!!
Lol.
When we winter them in the barn, they reside in stanchions, we have a few of the "ideal" 1100-1200 lb cows, and they will easily eat just as much as the big girls, but the big girls maintain much more on the same portions.

Latest posts